test post DO NOT IGNORE 😎😎😎😎

• deepthaw@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Federation and Lemmy and all this reminds me of the olden days of talking Trek via USENET and FidoNet (much more the former although technologically, it’s closer to the latter.)

• Lockely@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Gonna do my best! Right now this community is having some trouble downloading posts/comments into the one I belong to, I’m hoping that’s a temporary glitch.

• 2muchcaffeine4u@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t fully understand the whole instances thing, but I know if I make an account on startrek.website’s instance, I can’t see a lot of other instances that I can see when I log into an account I made on, say, lemmy.world or lemmy.ml. Is there something that mods need to do to enable this, or is this a purposeful decision to stay unconnected to non-Star Trek related instances? If that’s the case then everyone will need to make another account to view this content, which creates a lot more friction and would limit the odds of achieving critical mass.

• Guy Fleegman@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

There is more friction when you try to subscribe across the fediverse, yes. When you subscribe via federation, your home Lemmy has to pull the content in. (This is an interesting view, as far as I can tell its all the communities that accounts here have subscribed to.)

On some level the best approach would be to put your account on a big Lemmy so all the communities there are preloaded from your account, while you still have the option of subscribing to communities on other Lemmys and pulling them in.

That said, there are already apps and browser extensions that manage this for you with Mastodon. Here’s one example. This just makes it so “Subscribe” buttons on other Mastodons work by doing the extras steps for you. It’s only a matter of time before utilities like this start materializing for Lemmy. (They may already exist.)

I didn’t grok this is how federated subscriptions would work before joining here (although in retrospect and as a Mastodon user, it’s obvious) so like you I’m a little bummed out. But upon further reflection, I’m good with dealing with these inconveniences until extensions, apps, and Lemmy itself starts to alleviate them in software if it means I get to beam into other Lemmys as “GuyFleegman@startrek.website.”

• Klanky@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m in the Sopuli instance and I can see this content fine. Although it seems you might be talking about the reverse, you can’t see other instances with a startrek.website account?

• StillPaisleyCat@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I believe I’ve figured out the issue for iPhones.

One has to close the keyboard before hitting the send arrow to post the comment.

However, rather than having the typical iPhone blue ‘Done’ command to close the keyboard, it says ‘Cancel’.

Of course, this intuitively suggests you would be canceling the comment when it’s just closing the keyboard.

Daft actually.

• StillPaisleyCat@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So we can have multiple Star Trek communities on this instance. Days from is already set up.

By the way, I keep getting ‘request rejected by server’ messages when I try to reply. I’m logged in on Mlem which is in beta. Anyone else experiencing this?

• SysAdmin@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I haven’t tested that app yet but I haven’t been getting that error on other platforms. Let us know if it persists. Also yes, we have Daystrom and Risa (Serious Bizness > General Discussion > Memes & Shitposts)

In the future we would like to allow users to make their own communities but for now we want to see how fast growth is and if the server holds up/etc.!

• lemillionsocks@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

So are you actually tied to the old /r/startrek sub? If so I love that you guys are boldly going straight into a full on star trek instance rather than latching onto an existing instance and making a community.

For what it’s worth star trek has always been one of those nerdy communities that thrived with message boards and such online so it actually does make sense to have a full on independent instance.

• Corgana@startrek.websiteOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep exactly! I was the original mod of /r/StarTrek and mostly quit Reddit last year but stayed in touch with the other mods. I set this instance up for them because they felt it was a better idea to have control over it. The DaystromInstitute and Risa mods also decided to hop on board.