• kescusay@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

In a nutshell:

Paul Holvey shelved a proposed piece of legislation that one of the unions supported, because he didn’t believe it would survive court challenges against its legality. The union felt this was a betrayal, and campaigned to recall him.

Other unions disagreed with that union and continued to support Holvey.

Making no judgment on either position, some of the signature gatherers for the recall effort used shady tactics and claims to get signatures.

That said, I voted against the recall.

• kescusay@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It was a bill that would have forced businesses applying for marijuana licenses to “promise” not to resist unionizing efforts. It was apparently written pretty badly, would conflict with federal law, and Holvey thought it would end up in a costly legal battle and ultimately get thrown out.

The thing that gets me is that he didn’t actually kill the bill. He supported it in principle, but just believed it couldn’t survive as written. He ended up passing it to the Rules Committee instead of advancing it for a floor vote where it almost certainly would have failed, which actually kept it alive for a few more weeks to be worked on. But they couldn’t fix it either, so it died in committee there.

The more I’ve looked into it, the more confused I’ve become by the recall effort and by UFCW-555’s involvement. It was a very weird thing to pick a fight over instead of just lobbying for a better-written bill.