If you don’t like it, block the bot?

I’m confused on why people would downvote threads that account for most of the content in this community

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Some people are misanthropes, some people misclick, some people just want to get a reaction

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I feel like misclicks don’t get much consideration. I know I personally misclick on a little less than 1% of posts I look at, usually because I’m scrolling quickly or transferring my phone from one hand to the other or something, and end up fat-fingering the button. Sometimes I notice and fix it, but I know I don’t catch all of them. I do put a little bit of effort into being careful though, I know not everyone does.

For this reason, I always consider that maybe 1-5% of total votes might potentially be misclicks, or just people not paying much attention, and I don’t really consider them. I figure misclicks will be split 50/50 between up and downvotes, with the downvotes being much more noticeable in general, due to human biases towards negative reinforcement.

• can@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I’m the same with swipe gestures. I always disable force feedback so it’s really easy to accidentally swipe a comment too far and not realize.

• inge
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Some people downvote because others care about downvotes

• Zerlyna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I get that in the community I mod StopDrinking. I post a daily checkin. If you don’t like seeing my post, block the community. Some of us need the post to be accountable to ourselves and each other.

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Sorry, fellow mod. This thread is kind of getting out of hand, excuse my judgment but I’m going to be locking it.

Before I do so, I want to make a few things clear…

• Downvoting is what one might call a public function. It falls within one’s supposed right to do so.
    • Weaponizing any system to further this, however, is against site rules.
    • As far as etiquette goes, it still does speak for one’s character what one sees as likable.
    • You are not defined by your critics. I enjoy discussing all of your interesting points of view.
    • Since this seems to be such a grand issue, I wonder how many of you have heard of !downvotedtooblivion@lemm.ee

With love from Mod Leni.

• emmie@lemmy.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I have my stats disabled usually cause they kind of manipulate my emotions and views and what is correct or not.

Better to focus on the factual content of the comment or post than on the up or down points.

Reddit was really bad about this because you constantly had a number to your name and it was addicting to score them points and defeated the point of normal discussion.

• Eggyhead@artemis.camp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s a fair question, but it makes me want to ask why downvotes even matter to anyone. They are usually outnumbered by upvotes in the first place, & aren’t even federated across instances (at least on Kbin).

• hightrix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Daily threads are dumb.

I’d rather not block a bot.

There’s nothing complex going on here. Also, to agree with the other guy, this call out is creepy as hell.

• freamon@endlesstalk.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Inferring that info is maybe not as straight-forward as you’re assuming.

As for being called out, it was a dick move in response to a dick move. I’m surprised you guys aren’t more robust in the face of someone disagreeing with you.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Mature? Like downvoting a post asking why something is being downvoted? Like responding “Because I don’t want to” when asked why you don’t just block a bot?

There’s no way these things are more mature than just doing what we should all be doing: just scrolling past. There’s rarely any need for downvotes, and the idea that we’re just supposed to guess what you mean by them is ludicrous.

• hightrix@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Downvotes mean exactly the same thing as upvotes, that I either like or dislike the content.

There’s nothing deep here. This is random social media where votes and points don’t matter. Everyone has their own interpretation of what an upvote or downvote means. No one gets to dictate it.

Getting upset about downvotes, that’s the only ludicrous thing happening in this thread.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

I’m not upset at downvotes. My comment got plenty of 'em. It’s fine.

If the meaning of them is so individual and nebulous, then I’m even more mystified why anyone would hand them out. You dislike something, but so what? What’s anyone supposed to do with that information? They can’t be interpreted as anything apparently. Lemmy’s userbase is too shallow and it’s sorting algorithms too unsophisticated for anything to get buried. So it’s an action without a goal, a petulant thumbs down that in most cases just leaves someone puzzled as to why it happened at all.

• ContentConsumer9999@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Downvotes are supposed to represent anything worse than aphathy which includes mild discontent. It’s not like it takes much more effort to click one button before scrolling past anyways. You’re treating this like they leave a comment talking about how much they hate the daily threads.

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s accessible to anyone having its own instance.

Upvotes are public via Kbin

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Interesting, thanks