Apple addresses iPhone 15 overheating with a new iOS 17 update.::A new iOS 17 update from Apple that’s intended to fix reports of overheating iPhone 15s is now available. Apple acknowledged the problem over the weekend, blaming it on software problems.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Over the weekend, Apple blamed several factors for reports of iPhone 15s running hot, pointing to problems with specific apps like Instagram and Uber, post-transfer background processing, and unspecified bugs in iOS 17.

Today, the company released a new software update with patch notes saying that iOS 17.0.3 “addresses an issue that may cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.”

Checking for the newest update from your device should snag the update, which is shown as a 423.2MB download from Apple.

There had been some speculation that hardware issues, perhaps from the iPhone 15’s more powerful processor or titanium components, contributed to the sweaty iPhone experience, but Apple’s statements to Forbes and other outlets tied the issue mostly to the software, in addition to heating that could happen with USB-C chargers.

Once you’ve installed the update, let us know if you’re having a hot iPhone 15 experience or if things have started to cool off.

Apple had already released one post-iPhone 15 launch patch to deal with problems some new owners had while transferring data, and it’s currently beta testing a more significant iOS 17.1 update.

The original article contains 186 words, the summary contains 186 words. Saved 0%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• M500@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ll still take that over needing to open and load a bunch of stuff on another site.

Can I have a text only internet?

• TurboLag@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Seriously, this bot is great. It’s one of my favourite parts of finding news through Lemmy, just like it used to be on the old site.

• M500@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Thanks! I’m familiar with the name but I’ve not used it or know anything about it.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

It was a weird bug (which I think is still present in the codebase) that counted the original words wrong because of a non-breaking space or something. The counts are not really exact either, I think you’d find a lot of summaries that are off by a few words.

• funker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I really thought they had to throttle the new SOC. Now if it’s identified software problems. Will other iPhones receive the „cooling“ patch too? What exactly was the culprit?

• cybervseas@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It might be related to how these apps cause the OS to boost the CPU cores or schedule those background tasks on the more powerful (and higher power) cores instead of the efficiency cores. I’ve seen the opposite issue on Linux and Windows with newer CPUs not boosting high enough.

Apple’s own apps might have had the same issue, which would explain why the update was hundreds of megabytes instead of just the kilobytes or megabytes need for a core os update.

Then again, I haven’t worked on os stuff in a long long time, so I’m pretty much just making it all up.

• HollandJim@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

iPhone 11 here. Got the patch.

It’s an os bug, not a hardware issue. Actually it’s a nothing burger, so let’s move on.

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

So the software was fine on the previous phone. But now all of a sudden instagram is a chip cooker? Highly unlikely. Smells like spin to me.

• BilboBargains@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

The battery life must be horrible if the device overheats.

Surprising this type of bug gets into production, the use case sounds pretty ordinary i.e. very popular apps. Surely they would test this in development? Feels like there is more to this story.

• garretble@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Now to fix watchOS 10 from completely destroying my battery that was perfectly fine before the update.

• vladmech@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’d guess so but have you fully powered off and on your watch? I had this same issue, down to sub 10% by 8pm, and power cycling got it back to where I’m at 40% right now, a bit past 8.

• garretble@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, I had done a full restart, but that didn’t really help.

HOWEVER, since the latest iOS update that happened this week, I have seen the battery on the watch be better. Last night about 10pm I was at 30%. So maybe the phone was trying to talk to the watch a little too aggressively? Not sure. I’m hoping they figured it out, though.

• iMike@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My 15 pro max never overheats, even when charging. I’ve read that this iOS update dimms the screen of some apps like TikTok. CPU is not throttled.