I would like to try Immich and at the same time I am already using Nextcloud to sync all my photos from my phone. Is there a way to keep my photos on Nextcloud?

• randomname01@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

What are you trying to achieve, OP? As far as I understand you want to use Nextcloud to sync your photos and then want to use Immich to view them?

Because if that’s the case, it doesn’t make the most sense currently. Immich currently isn’t a full featured photo library manager, but rather a tool to back up photos from your phone and smartly display those. It’s currently not geared toward at displaying existing photo libraries.

A number of other applications (PhotoPrism, Photoview, LibrePhotos, Piwigo) are better suited to do that, although it is planned for Immich if I understood correctly.

• Raphael@lemmy.mararead.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They have started implementing read-only folders for Immich with the latest release. And it does actually work pretty well.

However it currently is a very manual process via the command line (and not very well documented, especially for docker) and it has limited features as it does not automatically sync new images and does not remove deleted images from its database yet.

• supersheep@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m using Nextcloud to sync my photos and use the read-only feature of Immich which works really well. I have a cronjob to automatically sync the latest photos into Immich over night which also works quite nicely.

• randomname01@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nextcloud uses a normal file structure per user, so you could also point any other gallery app (PhotoPrism, Photoview, LibrePhotos, Piwigo) towards the data folder Nextcloud uses. And yeah, Memories is an option as well.

• Norgur
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What are the advantages compared to Nextcloud Photos?

• Norgur
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

thanks! I just switched an… well… it’s buggy :( I had a bunch of photos that read with a wrong date from the EXIF apparently. I then edited the EXIF in Memories to show the correct date and… now it just shows them as taken today. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• supersheep@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I had similar issues with memories, so that’s why I switched to Immich last week. So currently I still sync using Nextcloud to a specific directory and then use the read-only functionality of Immich. I also used Photoview for a period of time which also works quite nice, but the app gets updated less often than Immich’s app and also has less functionality. In the end I hope to completely move to Immich when syncing works both ways.

• palitu@lemmy.perthchat.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just install immich side by side. Install the app, then you are good to go.

Immich will just back up your photos to immichs storage and DB, and nexrcloid sync will do the same for nextcloud.

• Entropy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I do this, I just used uploaded all the pictures and videos from my locally synced nextcloud folder to immich

After that I just kept auto upload on for nextcloud and immich apps on my phone