Toyota Will Adopt Tesla-Style Cast Bodies That Might Be Impossible to Fix::Toyota plans to make electric car bodies in the same style as Tesla’s “gigacasting.” But the resulting EVs might be too hard to repair.

• nomad@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

There is demand for their cars, how would that change through more efficient manufacturing? Remember demand drives price.

However, withing a few decades probably every mamjfacturer will adopt this technique, which will enable them to ask for less to drives sales. Then all manufacturers will have to reduce prices.

• AlternateRoute@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

As has been pointed out MANY times on the current CAST items if you have an accident large enough to go through the replaceable parts the crash bars and it DOES damage the cast it is a write off anyway.

• Technus@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, I thought this was already an issue with unibody designs. Once the internal structure is damaged, it’s a write-off either way.

• bluekieran@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I was wondering why this wouldn’t make insurance unaffordable and the car unsellable, if it were a real issue, and that answers it - thanks.

• ChickenFeet @lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

These days repairs on regular cars are so cost prohibitive, that if the accident is severe enough to deploy airbags it’s a write off.

• betwixthewires@lemmy.basedcount.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

They want to make everything impossible to fix. They want to turn our land into landfills and fleece us of our income.

Climate change or no, electric fan or no, anyone with self respect would rather buy a 1990 beater than a new car, they’re user and owner hostile.

• vivavideri@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s what 2000s cars are for! Anything like… mid 90s and beyond is guaranteed airbags, and they mandated tire pressure sensors in what, 2008?

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

100% this. I don’t like supporting big oil, but at the end of the day I value the ability to repair a vehicle at an affordable cost.

Things like a 20k battery replacement? Hell no thank you, I’ll grab another aspirated one with 100000 on the clock, and many more to go.

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

13K ish for a model 3/Y. The X and S, that cost north of 80K after options, are in the 20K range for battery replacement.

That said, the batteries have an 8 year /150Kish mile warranty that kicks in at 70% capacity retention. So even if it’s functional but losing enough capacity, they’ll replace it

• Critical_Insight@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Just watched a video of a guy doing no-paint dent removal on a rivian bumper after a bodyshop had quoted him 41k USD for repair. That’s 4 times the value of my truck.