• mateomaui@reddthat.comOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

“Who are these guys?” is a standard dismissive response regarding people we’d like to knock down a few notches. No way for me to know if that was the case or not, I don’t make assumptions based on lemmy server domains.

• frenchyy94@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Never heard it in that context.

And still, if you make political memes, maybe give at least some context? E.g. the country you’re talking about? Or why that would be funny(?)

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Maybe Google them and answer your own question instead of expecting everyone to educate you or bend their posts to your liking?

edit: also, I didn’t think it needed to be explained what country it was in reference to when the question was “Who do you want as Speaker?”, while the politics section has been sprinkled with posts regarding Speaker Kevin McCarthy being removed over the last few days. If you don’t know by now, it’s probably not important to you.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Exactly, if you don’t know any of those people already, they probably don’t matter to you at all.

• BigFig@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

You’re getting down voted but seriously, people would rather spend time arguing and asking “who?” Then just looking it up. We are ON the Internet. It’s not your job to explain it

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

So, just like op, who seems much more interested in arguing than in simply providing context to their own post?

Not everyone on the internet is American or follows the news or is on here enough to see relevant articles (never mind that other countries absolutely do have a speaker of government, so their excuse is poor), their reaction to someone asking for clarification is pretty ridiculous…

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

I love being on a downvote-disabled server, those Redditors can deal with it.

Yeah, exactly, we are on the internet, where it shouldn’t be that strange to not know if someone is serious or indicate such with a meme, and if someone asks me “how the hell should I know” anything like that, I’m probably going to remind them that there are search engines. If the reply had been “yes I’m serious” or such, I probably would have given an actual answer.