As lemmy grows organically, there will be continuous increases in duplicate communities. This poses a long-term problem because I don’t think most people want to subscribe to half a dozen or more communities that are essentially the same.

Is there any chance that the thought leaders of Lemmy which probably includes the largest servers owners could come together and start proposing ideas?

I see a potential troubling issue with the idea in terms of combining the existing history of the duplicates communities.

Perhaps a new concept of community@global could be thought through.

• deadcyclo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean it’s the same on reddit, just that they have to have slightly different names.

I’m pretty sure that duplicates will sort them selves out organically over time.

• hillbicks@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I guess chances for duplicate communities are higher on federated services, but I hope you’re right. And even that shouldn’t be a problem once we get multi subreddits, or the equivalent of it.

• bloodsangre7@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, ran into this for baseball communities, its tough to gain some critical mass to compete with an r/baseball if they remain splintered

• hillbicks@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

My ideal scenario would be multi communities. create a multi community, tied to your user account. you can then add any community from any fediverse account or community.

So in essence you would a multi community called baseball. In it are posts from !baseball@lemmy.ml !baseball@fanaticus.social and mastodon posts from @baseball@a.gup.pe

Either browser each multi community separately or even build a frontpage consisting of all multi communities.

I might open a feature request for this…

• Pbody@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

This is exactly what I’m hoping to see. On another thread I saw people hoping to narrow it down to one true community for each topic but afaik multis would solve these issues. Instead of just browsing the baseball community you’d browse the baseball multi community. This way we could avoid the issue of giving one instance too much “power” and still have the convenience we crave.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

yeah, multiple communities for any topic has ALWAYS been a thing, Im usually subbed to a 1/2 dozen on any given topic, and the better stuff is very often in the secondaries first.

im not sure what OP is on about but a bunch of migrants are saying this. I guess they are also young redditors and only see what the admins have given them.

I learned long ago that my home page has “different” due to being very old.

• JohnEdwa@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m more worried what will happen when instances start going down permanently. The decentralization makes sure the whole concept can’t collapse all at once, but unless some sort of migration/linking is implemented in the future this isn’t that far off from the old times with random bulletin boards and personal forums that you might just find gone one day, all content and accounts permanently lost to the sands of time.

• pre@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@JohnEdwa What happens is that people move to other instances and maybe start one with their friends, happens all the time.

Account migration will come to lemmy/kbin, and group-migration is really as easy as saying “Hey everyone, here’s the new address”

@MasterBlaster @dusk

• Veritropism@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I do think some of the larger ones may end up being their own instance in the federation, both to help reduce burden, and to help ensure stability of their content. It will be interesting to see which ones are able to be self-funding through donations (or even ad monetization/corporate sponsorship in some edge cases.)

• pre@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

@Veritropism Very likely. One would hope that the Microsoft Support Forum is hosted on Microsoft’s servers, say, for sure.

If I end up using it a lot I’ll host my own eventually, but doubt I’d have to pay to host popular groups on it.

@MasterBlaster @dusk @JohnEdwa

• randomperson@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

At first I thought it would be much more complicated to join and use than it really is. I really like the concept but the platform still feels pretty janky, needs polishing and some QoL features that are currently missing. Overall it’s very promising, I hope it will get adopted widely.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Your biggest issue is moderation and control, that will end up with the same problems as any centralized system. Your better off with smart searches and personal algorithms to help deal with dupes.

• jon@lemmy.tf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Community replication & redirects probably need to become a thing to allow for smooth merges. As of today, if two communities want to merge, one is going to lose all of its history on their new instance. At best the smaller community sticks around its original instance, permanently locked down with a stickied post telling users to go to the new instance.

• pre@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@MasterBlaster You’ll be able to have your favourite ones without having to also subscribe to that one with that idiot who won’t shut up about it. Conversations are better with lots of small groups than one big stage.

• Kahnza@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Being decentralized is whats going to prevent this whole Fediverse from really taking off. Its a convoluted mess.

edit: glitch made me triple post

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Which may also, inturn, keep it from turning into reddit or, god forbid, Twitter and Facebook lol. A little optimistic view I guess haha.

I think it’ll sort itself out in time. I’m more concerned about the search function right now and incorporating all the instances/communities in a functional manner for new users with out needing to manually input stuff But I guess that’s all apart of the federation thing.

Smoothing over some bugs is probably priority so it doesn’t scare people away during this migration time.

The people/person that has to figure that out is definitely not me, that’s for sure.

• blade_imaginato@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

As a twitter refugee, mastodon is really confusing, and lonely. In which I have nothing on there to connect with other users. The thing that makes twitter have high user connectivity is a “trending” tab and quote tweets. Which does wonders for user connectivity.

In contrast, mastodon has none of those features that made twitter appealing to the masses. I understand keeping everything decentralized, but, some level of centralization is good for the userbase.

An example of this light centralization is lemmy, with its federation and “all” tab.

• Kahnza@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Being decentralized is whats going to prevent this whole Fediverse from really taking off. Its a convoluted mess.

• Kahnza@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

edit: glitch made me triple post