• Ilovethebomb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

unless it means you are using your work laptop to game.

Why is this a bad thing? Why would you have separate computers, when you can have one good one?

• Benign@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Security issues. It’s standard security policy for most companies to separate private and work.

• Grabthar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

So have a drive for work and one for play. Bill the laptop to work but spec it for what you want at home.

• Rin@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Not even that. She could be dual booting windows with windows on two separate encrypted partitions. There’s going to be someone at work who knows how to set it up.

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

And why can’t she know how to set that up if she chooses? Because she’s a girl? You people are gross. If you want to criticize her for something, let it be for representing Trump in the first place.

• Nalivai
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

No, she can’t know it because she is a lawyer that represents Trump. Why did you though we have a problem with her gender?

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

She’s clearly too young to have her own practice. Whatever firm she works for placed her on his case. Her intelligence cannot be defined by the client she represents. She’s smart enough to pass the bar. I’d wager she’s also smart enough not to hand her personal laptop to some neckbeard to set up for her. It’s highly questionable at this point whether Trump can even get a firm big enough to have in house IT to work for him.

• Rin@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

Nothing to do with their sexual identity or gender. It’s the fact that the average person doesn’t know how to do it. Most people working in a company stuff have IT that sets things up for them. If they can do it themselves, then hell, that’s great and I’m happy for them. But I wouldn’t assume anything because of someone’s gender or sexual identity. I think that’s silly.

• Rin@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

If you care for a personal example, the company I work for has IT which give us work phones. The IT department set the phones up themselves. Because of the way the phone has been set up, there’s incredibly little that can go tits up and there’s a lot of security built in (no admin, enforced long passwords, probably more that I’m forgetting).

I’m more than capable of setting up my phone and having it be secure myself without IT doing it. Maybe she can too. Is it a usual thing for IT to thing up in a business setting, (unless you’re a programmer) probably.

• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Even if she works for a firm, which is likely as she looks a bit young to own her own practice, they did not provide that laptop. That is clearly hers. And unless they are a fairly large law firm, they do not have a dedicated IT guy, let alone department. I’d bet Trump would be hard pressed to get a large firm to work for him, given his reputation.

• Rin@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    9 months ago

I mean, this is all speculation. How can you be sure that she couldn’t just request that laptop? I don’t know the circumstances.

As far as institutions go, there’s even fairly small ones that have at least 1 person who’s job is IT, not to mention it is also possible to outsource that position entirely.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong about this entire situation but that doesn’t make me a sexist like you implied :/

• Rin@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

How so? If you have 2 partitions encrypted separately with, say, Veracrypt, the worst thing the infected partition could do is copy the other encrypted partition. Unless I’m missing something?

• FaeDrifter@midwest.social
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

You can download a copy of the encrypted partition and attempt to crack it locally.

Which depending on how deep your cascade encryption goes can require a huge amount of computation. If you’re a small business owner running a restaurant or a student, that’s plenty of security. If you’re the lawyer for a former POTUS in a history-defining trial that might decide the future of the entire planet, I hope to God you’re not relying on that encryption.

Then again it might be the same dirt that foreign intelligence already has on Trump, so maybe it doesn’t matter either way.

• Rin@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

My friend, I hope you realise that cracking a Veracrypt partition is going to take longer than the heat death of the universe even if we use every computer ever produced. It’s not feasible to crack a partition with brute force. The one way to break it is if they have some password lists or something.

I’ve actually been thinking about this. Another very hard but possible way that I can think could work would be to take the targeted partition in its entirety, then alter the boot process in such a way where the user is tricked into producing their password at boot to the encrypted partition. The password would then be sent over the air to the attacker where they can simply decrypt the partition. I’m not sure what that would entail though.