• Pat_Riot@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Good that they have it. Sad that they need it. Hoping they changed it up after posting it to the world so it remains effective.

• AnarchistArtificer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

^ what are they gonna do, randomly punch you in the face in front of a crowd of people?

They might do. They might also:

• wait until closing time and then follow you home, sparking a months long campaign of stalking and harassment
        • spike your drink and steer you away from safety when they get a chance Amongst other things.

“I bet the person would walk away willingly”

A reasonable person would, but the danger here is that the prevalence of unreasonable people who would respond poorly to being rejected is high enough that it is necessary for women to build systems like this to keep each other safe. You’re right, that this system is to compensate for a lack of social skills, but it’s compensating on behalf of petulant men who refuse to take no for an answer.

If this sounds absurd to you, congratulations, you’re probably a reasonable person who would respond rationally to being rejected, but most women I know have had bad experiences like this. If your instinct is that this sounds like an unreasonable amount of effort to go to to avoid confrontation, consider what level of conflict has led to the formation of these practices - they don’t just come from nowhere

• lazyslacker@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

A drunk person not taking the obvious non verbal hints could easily get out of hand if put in such a confrontational situation where it would be hard for them to save face.

• webghost0101@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

If you think this is reality i dont think your old enough To go the places where the very normal logic you described is clearly not reality.

Most people around you are chill and sensible but Some are absolutely not and very dangerous, depending where you live dangerous people can be a daily occurrence, even on your way to work.

• Sdot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Ours was the call on a date - “sure, you can use my milk” = everything’s going well, “sorry, I’ll pick up milk on the way home” = get me out of here

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I ride a motorcycle and you know how I stay out of danger?

I avoid dangerous situations as much and as often as possible.

• Rachelhazideas@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I was wondering what that smell in the room was, unchecked privilege or weeks without a shower.

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

LOL riding a motorcycle is not exactly avoiding dangerous situations. Do you just sit on it in your driveway?

If you think about it, these hand signs are similar to what you’re doing. Engaging in a risky activity while trying to mitigate the danger.