·
    1 year ago

Pork Carnitas

• 3lb pork shoulder
    • 1 Orange
    • 1 onion
    • 6 cloves of garlic (peeled)
    • 2 or 3 cinnamon sticks
    1. Chop pork shoulder into ~1 in cubes, pack tightly into crock pot. You can also pack it into a 9x13 glass baking tray, cover wil foil, and bake at 275°F for 3½ to 4hrs (until meat shreds easily).

2. Quarter the orange and the onion. Squeeze orange juice over pork, then stuff the orange peels into the pork, along with the onion, garlic, and cinnamon sticks (you can break the cinnamon sticks in half if they are sticking out too much).

3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until easily shreddable. Remove the pork meat from the crockpot and shred. If its too dry, ladle some of the crock pot juices into the shredded meat.

4. Serve on tiny tortillas (so you can eat about a dozen in one sitting), along with diced onions, cilantro, Tomatillo sauce, and lime.

Optional: some people like to chuck the shredded pork onto a cookie sheet and then put it under the broiler to crisp it up a little. I am usually too hungry by the time its ready to shred, so I tend to skip that step, but feel free to try if you have more willpower than me.

• jmshrv@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Probably not “good”, but a tin of chickpeas and a jar of store-bought curry sauce (doesn’t really matter which one) is super easy. Just put the chickpeas and sauce in a saucepan, and simmer for 20 minutes (also get some rice).

• PilotJones@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My stir-fry sauce works wonders with almost anything that can be fried in a pan/wok.

It’s just soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic and chili flakes. Mix those up and add it to something you have already got on the pan, when it’s just a few minutes away from being done.

Can also be used as an extremely flavorful marinade for chicken especially.

• GaroshTheSpaceShip@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep agreed, we put in noodles, soy sauce, hoisin sauce (to even out the saltyness) and then whatever veggies and protein is available.

• BadAtNames@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Bengali daal - a thin lentil soup, served over rice. Rice and dried lentils are one of the cheapest things you can buy in my country (& probably worldwide) - and this recipe uses very limited ingredients. The spices it uses - Indian bay leaf and kalo jeera - are not expensive in Bengal, and pretty basic/versatile, used in all sorts of dishes. But they’re also optional - only daal, salt, water and green chillies are mandatory for making a decent daal!

• MagpieRhymes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

A nice risotto - it takes a bit of time, but the basic recipe is super simple. Get a pot of about 5 or so cups of stock (chicken veggie, whatever) simmering on the stove. In a big pan, sauté a diced onion with olive oil, add a bit of minced garlic, then toss in about a cup and a half of arborio rice (or another short grain rice) and get it all coated in the oil. You can add half a cup of white wine now if you like, or just slowly start adding in a stock, one ladleful at a time. Keep stirring, don’t walk away! This takes some time, but as the stock gets absorbed the rice releases its starch and gets super creamy. Taste test to know when it’s done. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with some parmesan cheese grated over the top (ideally from an actual block of parm, which would likely be the most expensive part of this dish).

You can add various veggies in - I like adding mushrooms or blanched asparagus. It’s great as a side dish, but also works as a main.

• String@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

a really simple ground meat and noodle casserole, my go to when I don’t want to spend much effort cooking. Good for about 3-4 servings.

• 2 packages of kraft dinner (or macaroni noodles). Boil these in a pot until they are done. Strain the water, add these to a large bowl.
    • 1 pound of ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey all work). Season the meat as it cooks, I usually add salt, ground pepper, paprika, rosemary, a splash of vinegar or Worcestershire sauce. Cook this in a pan on low-medium heat with some oil until it’s done. Then add to the bowl.
    • grated cheese (or you can make a cheese roux). Add to the bowl as well.
    • whatever else you’d like!
    • mix everything and serve

For vegetables, I have something quick like cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, or something frozen like peas or corn that’s easy to heat up in the microwave.

• Sir Atomic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Recently I have been doing rice, canned black beans, and frozen veggies. Fry the veggies up in a large pan with a little olive oil. Rinse beans and add them to the pan. I’ve been using microwave rice recently because I don’t have access to a rice cooker. Add the microwaved rice to the pan, add some spices.

Boom easy meal. Can also throw all this in a tortilla for burritos.

• Cheradenine@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Pasta aglio, olio, peperoncino. Garlic, olive oil, dried chilies. Comes together in the time it takes the pasta to cook. Grate some cheese over the top, or nutritional yeast to keep it vegetarian, and you’re done. I like to add some minced preserved lemon right before it comes off the heat.

• Foggyfroggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I made a lemon basil spaghetti with roasted artichokes tonight that was pretty good. The ingredients were simple, I went to the store for a bag of frozen artichokes and new wedge of parm but we had the rest. I read about it on nytimes today thinking oooh, exotic, I’ll impress the missus. And when I grabbed the bag of frozen artichokes they helpfully had a recipe on the side: for lemon spaghetti with roasted artichokes.

Anyways, just google it. Less than 10 bucks if you have spaghetti and olive oil already.

• eupraxia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

His pan pizza recipe is a party go-to for me. I have some trouble getting the dough to rise enough sometimes, but when it works it’s gloriously bready. I like replacing the water in the dough with beer too.

• MagpieRhymes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s the serious eats deep dish dough for me, baked off in a cast iron pan. It’s perfect, and can double as a focaccia dough!

• SgtAStrawberry@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Need: Egg nuddels, some slices of garlic,chilli, salt, pepper and some cooking oil.

Cook the nuddels.

Chop the garlic and chilli.

Mix the garlic, chilli, salt, pepper in the oil.

Fry up the nuddels with the oil mixture.

Need even cheaper version, replace the garlic, chilli with their powder version.

If you want something extra, add some soy and/or mayo when it is finished. You can also add an egg boild or fried.

• Zadkine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Spaghetti alla Putanesca:

For 4 people:

• 400 grams spaghetti
    • Olive oil
    • One small onion
    • 1 clove of garlic
    • Red chili flakes, about 1 tsp or to taste
    • White wine, 1 glass
    • 1 tin of anchovies
    • 1 tablespoon brown olives, coarsely chopped
    • 1 tablespoon capers
    • 2 400 gram cans of tomatoes (crushed or whole, doesn’t really matter)
    • A small bunch of flat parsley, chopped
    1. Fry the onions in a large skillet on medium heat in the oil, until translucent.
    2. Add the garlic, anchovies, chili flakes and olives and fry for a few minutes (go easy on the chili flakes, it shouldn’t be super spicy and you can always add more at the end).
    3. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan, cook for a few minutes until reduced by about half.
    4. Add the tomatoes and mix everything, let it simmer for half a hour.
    5. After half a hour add the capers and most of the parsley.
    6. Cook the spaghetti (should take a minute or 8, depending on the spaghetti)
    7. The sauce has probably reduced a bit, so add some starchy pasta water to make it more ‘saucy’.
    8. Add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce and mix everything.
    9. Plate and top with the rest of the parsley.

If you’re making it for 2 people: after step 5, transfer half of the sauce to a Tupperware container. It keeps in the fridge for a few days or you can freeze it.

• Tamborlin@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Day 1 : Roast, onion soup mix, chopped potatoes and onions if you’re feeling spicy. Put all of that and some water in the slow cooker. Eat your fill, shred and keep the rest. Day 2: throw frozen veggie mix into pot, put back on slow cooker, you now have beef and veggie soup for the next couple of days.

Biggest expense is the meat here, you can even probably stretch it longer by putting in some rice with the potatoes. Feel free to spice as desired.