Im very paranoid about getting into piracy and im not sure if i should or it or not but there are so many things i want that i cant afford.

is there a secure linux os that i can use without a vpn? im pretty use to windows 10 but i was told linux mint is good for this kind of stuff, is that true?

• Queue@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

All that matters is if you trust your VPN. You can torrent on Windows with a good VPN, and you won’t get caught. You don’t need linux to torrent safely.

If you’re worried about copyright notices, VPNs can help with that. If you’re worried about viruses, most viruses aim for Windows systems, but you can avoid them by keeping an eye out. There’s viruses for macOS and Linux, but due to the smaller scale of users, most people don’t bother hosting them online.

If you’re afraid your law enforcement is going to bust down your door, that isn’t going to happen even if you torrent hundreds of movies and shows a month. They mainly crack down on the people who host the content, your ISP would probably end your service before you went to court.

That said, if you want a more “secure” operating system, Linux can help beyond tormenting. Fedora, Linux Mint, Debian, are all solid choices for your first time use. Just know there’s going to be a learning curve, and if it gives you an error, read it carefully and search online, as others have had the issue before and are willing to help.

• over_clox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Keeping an eye out for viruses? 😂🤣

Guess you missed the recent exploit with RAR archives where malicious actors can execute code without you even knowing, conveniently not long after Windows integrated RAR support.

Keep an eye out for what? Any RAR from this year forward can carry a hidden embedded virus.

• Euphoma@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Do you mean the winrar exploit? I don’t know of or can find any other exploit related to rar files. If this is what you mean, it only affects winrar which is only on windows and most people use 7zip anyways.

• over_clox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

RAR is an archive format. Whether people use RAR or not today is besides the point, it’s an archive format. Many people (including myself) still have RAR archives from 20 years ago.

You think I’m just gonna ditch 2 decades of archives because of a security flaw recently discovered? I literally can’t, unless I just said fuckit, lemme burn my whole existence down and start over. Cuz someone on the net says they like 7zip better…

Now don’t take that the wrong way, I get it. 7zip most likely is more secure. But I can’t just jump ship and burn all my previous archives in a bonfire, nor am I about to try converting terabytes of archives from RAR to 7zip.

Also, RAR is totally a thing on Linux, as well as Wine…