Just came across a post on Reddit asking about cars, thought I’d ask here too.

The article the reddit post cited was: https://www.thankyourobot.com/2023/07/on-road-to-privacy-invasion-unmasking.html

In short, if I’m in the market to purchase a new car, which one should I go for to improve privacy? And if we assume that such a thing is not possible anymore, what can we do for our (newer) cars to be more private? I was considering things like removing the radio antenna (if I can, that depends on the model of the car).

I’m also interested in knowing just how would car companies mine information from a car if I haven’t connected my mobile to it? Do cars have SIMs inside them that have free 4G/5G access and can send information that way? How would I check if my car is doing something like this?

Thanks!

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I know nothing of car repairs (I find it intimidating), and mechanics charge a lot for (what would seem to be me to be) fairly small repairs. I don’t even know if I’m being overcharged or if what they are asking for is the right amount for the repair. That’s why I’d like to go for cars with warranties, although I guess I can get that with used cars too. But cars after 2015 or so have the same problems as the cars now with respect to privacy, which would defeat the point