• MindSkipperBro12@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Or you watch something that you thought was just awful and you find out that people on the internet loved it…

• The Picard Maneuver@startrek.websiteOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

This was me trying to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey

Either I didn’t get it, or I watched it too late to appreciate the ground-breaking effects. Maybe I’ll give it another try someday.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s what I’m thinking it must be. It was probably 2010-2011 when I watched it, and I just got so bored with the long shots of nothing, no dialogue, no conflict. It makes sense if they knew the audience would be in awe of the whole spectacle.

I watched part of a documentary on the making of the movie the other day, and it helped me appreciate some of the creative choices and see it how audiences would have viewed it when it was new. I need to give it another shot.

• soloner@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Some of that is also the director. It’s Stanley kubric. He really liked having his scenes sink in. I also found it effective to feel a sense of the vastness of space.

The movie is very philosophical. I think it is similar to blade runner 2049 in terms of slow pace sci fi setting not there for your entertainment but to get you to think.

I think while it could be something to watch for entertainment, I’m not sure that’s actually where it shines or what critics even value about it.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Maybe my attention span has been ruined, but Bladerunner 2049 was another that I just couldn’t get into. I can see that there’s something there, but I think I need to be in the right mood for a slow-paced movie.

• NielsBohron@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

That’s fair. Personally, between all the dreck I wind up watching as compromise with my partner and kids, getting to pick a movie purely for myself is really rare. If I get to pick a movie for myself, I almost always go for the slow-paced, artsy, philosophical media.

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy popcorn movies and sharing experiences with my family, but when I get time to myself, I’m not going for lighthearted action/comedy.

• kemsat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I think it’s apt to compare it with Star Wars. As someone who grew up with the prequels, I went back & watched the original trilogy on Disney+ and… oh boy, it was rough. I silently came to the conclusion that nostalgia has a massive effect on your perception.

Sorry to all the older OG Star Wars fans, but, they’re not very good; they aren’t even George Lucas’ best movies, I thought American Graffiti was tiers above Star Wars.

• Godort@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

2001 is one of those movies that’s really important historically, but doesn’t really hold up to modern standards.

Prior to 2001, there wasn’t really a market for non-schlocky SciFi movies, the whole genre was just cheap horror stories about aliens and monsters.

That movie opened the door to let us have more thoughtful genre flicks with much higher budgets.

• Artyom@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

2001 still holds up because it’s still the most realistic space travel movie ever made. Very few movies come close, 2010 comes close by default, Ad Astra had moments, but it’s a very short list.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Parts of 2001 are more art than a movie telling a story. 2010 is a far better scifi movie overall and a favorite of mine. But there are critics of that one too that say it’s terrible. I always think back to when I was a kid and reading a newspaper review of the new movie out I hadn’t seen yet. “Star Wars is a failure and departure from the science fiction standard.”

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

2c-e for me, blew my damn mind.

But so did The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

• cobysev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I believe that movies based on books are generally not as good, or lacking in some substance, so I always try to read the novel version first before watching the film. This was the case for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

What I didn’t realize is that the movie and novel were created simultaneously. The novel is, in fact, a companion piece for the film, providing more context. So over the decades, I’ve watched as people struggled to understand the hidden meaning of this classic film. There are hundreds of articles written, or YouTube reviews posted, theorizing what the monolith is about, or what the big deal is with the giant space baby, etc. But if you read the book, it explains exactly what it is, right there!

If I had watched the movie on its own, I would’ve been totally lost. But reading the book first helped me understand the more “artsy” scenes, and the film actually makes sense from start to finish. It not only explains exactly what’s happening in each scene, in simple non-metaphorical language, but you also see the inner dialogue of the main characters. Where there are quiet scenes throughout the movie (the film itself is about 90% quiet scenes), there’s actual inner-monologues or exposition going on in the book.

So I’d highly recommend reading the book before you rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey. You might get more enjoyment out of it.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

The books are better for content, as is usually the case. There’s so much more you can do with words that can’t be translated well into visuals. I didn’t care much for 3001, but 2001,2010, and 2061 were good. Even though 2061 both messed up the warning from 2010 as well as the epilogue.

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

You’re in for a treat! Arthur C. Clarke wrote the book and is probably my favorite sci-fi author. If you like it be sure to check out his other books too.

• Infynis@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I felt this way about Arrival. I absolutely hated it, and then found out it was super popular lol

• WldFyre@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Damn what didn’t you like about it?? It’s one of my favorite movies, I’ve had friends who didn’t care for it but never seen someone say they hate it haha

• Infynis@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

It’s been a while since I watched it, so I don’t remember specifics, but I felt like the end of the movie ruined the rest of it. She destroyed poor Jeremy Renner’s life!

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The first Star Trek movie is kind of a more accessible version of 2001. It’s still pretty slow, but it at least has a semi coherent plot.

• SolarNialamide@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ve had that with tons of ‘must see classics’. I’ll sit there and be like ‘I’ve already seen this a thousand times’. And while I of course appreciate the fact that the reason I’ve seen it so often is because that movie did it first back then, doesn’t mean that it’s impactful or interesting to me now.

• whaleross@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Oh, I just had a flashback to when 2001 was broadcast on television when I was a kid!

I said the next day that I liked it, and damn I was cross examined in the school yard for it. Every detail that made anybody confused was enough to crucify twelve year old me for liking an awesome space thriller with trippy effects and ambiguous ending. I mean, I didn’t get all of it, but I got enough of the vibe. The ending was confusing, but I mean it arguably still is and intentionally so. Especially for the protagonist that goes through a portal and wakes up dead and… yeah, well, you decide for yourself and I’ll stick to mine.

Anyway, the judge was the popular kid that also claimed that in western movies, people that wanted to die were shot for real, so there.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Me and the room. I can’t enjoy bad movies, that movie just pissed me off with how bad it was.

Also the time I saw Rocky horror picture Show I was like “why are people enjoying this? It’s awful” I know people started liking that movie cause it was so bad it’s good, but it seems along the way people lost the joke and actually legit enjoy that movie now and claim it’s good.

• TallonMetroid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Isn’t Rocky horror supposed to be better as a play or something? Something about having the audience there and breaking the 4th wall.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

“Better” is subjective. It’s certainly more fun.

Like, as a gay, it almost feels like a betrayal to say I don’t care for Rocky Horror, but I legitimately can’t sit through it…in my living room.

At a midnight showing of Rocky Horror, with the community, it’s a blast.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

The fact the Room takes itself so seriously is why it’s so enjoyable. The distance between what it’s trying to accomplish and the result is so profound that it’s an absolute spectacle in and of itself. The sheer confidence behind every single choice makes it so much more funny.

• RandomStickman@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

“So bad it’s good” movies are another category on its own and I don’t blame you for it. I personally went to a showing of a Neil Breen film but I wouldn’t blame anyone for not being interested in it lol

• Carlo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Wow, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone reference Neil Breen before, outside The Flop House podcast Never seen any of his films, but I’m familiar with them through repeatedly listening to that podcast—I’m listening to it right now!

Which one did you see, and what did you think?

• RandomStickman@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I saw his latest film “Cade: The Tortured Crossing” a few months back. The entire theatre of 50ish people were so rowdy and yelling jokes at the film. I’ve never lost my voice watching a film before 10/10 would recommend.

• cobysev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I like The Rocky Horror Picture Show while it has a plot… but about halfway in, it forgets about the plot and devolves into random musical numbers, one after the other. If it kept up its story, I’d enjoy it, but I can only watch the first half before I lose interest.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

How boring. I can’t imagine not being able to find amusement in the Room.

It’s making you “pissed”? Why on earth would it? Why do you care about it enough to be pissed off by it?

• QuantumSparkles@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Honestly nothing makes me more curious about a movie than when the the critics score and audience score on a movie are vastly different. Sometimes I’ll agree with the critics, sometimes I’ll agree with the audience, but either way I’ll probably find the movie to be have been worth the watch and interesting if nothing else

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

That was my experience with Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse. It started really strong, but it drags on for 2.5 hours just to end on a cliff hanger? Fucking what? They couldn’t have cut spider-cat and baby spiderman and fit the ending in there? There was so much fluff that contributed nothing to the movie that it being half a movie completely ruined it for me. 5/10.

• Muhr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, like Dune. Watched it a month ago because it was so hyped. Turned out it was great to fall asleep to 💤