This is something I’ve wondered about but never really seen an official leftist position on, and it’s gotten a lot more relevant with the ongoing Palestinian uprising. Also curious if there is any good reading out there on this subject.

• Maoo [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Morally, settlers don’t deserve a country based on birthright or your great-grandpa or whatever. Go wherever will take you for all I care.

Practically speaking, I would explicitly want to disperse the settlers so they will have a more difficult time with a revanchist project or clinging to a “culture” that is just appropriation and their own racial supremacy. Disperse and then integrate. If settlers “go back” to, say, only 3 countries based on where their grandparents lived, I would not be surprised if they took every effort to create a government in exile and harass the indigenous that “took their homes” (they would believe this unironically).

Edit: I should note that there’s no reason to think colonized people will kick out all settlers. Didn’t happen in SA, for example.

• BeamBrain [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I understand that it’s not done in actual practice, but since you brought up the hypothetical, I’m wondering about its viability. The plan only works if there is somewhere that will take them. There are 10 million stateless people in the world today, which is quite a lot of people that literally nobody wants.