• jesusrp98@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is a great change in my opinion. Nobody wants to give support and effort into dying projects

• markstos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It will mean even less attention is given to X11 as project, if that’s possible.

Gnome devs would no longer be interested in resolving any X11-related compatibility issues.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah, that’s fine. Wayland or whatever is going to be the future. I still use X11 as last time I checked (I try it out every year or so), a lot of my little tweaks were broken under Wayland. Someday I’ll have to change, but that’s OK.

• EccTM@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago
    • There are other submitted Merge Requests to that gnome-session GitLab repository that are 3 years old and are still open. This is only a proposal, and doesn’t actually mean it’s happening.
    • If GNOME developers want to focus on expanding Wayland support instead of maintaining X11 support, surely that’s their choice - they’re mostly volunteers anyway, shouldn’t they get to decide what they want to work on?
    • If other developers still want X11 support, they can branch these session targets and X11 support code off into a separate package and handle maintaining it.
    • X11 released in 1987. It had a great run.
  • aka_oscar@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Mmm, im not happy about this. Rn there is a bug affecting amd gpus on gnome wayland that crashes the entire desktop. A fix is hoped to arrive in kernel v6.6, but until then ive been using xorg as a fallback.

I understand its gonna take a while until xorg is fully gone from gnome, but ive grown kind to having such fallback whenever wayland has a nasty issue.

• petsoiOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My hope is, when the legacy code has been removed from the code base there is more focus and capacity on improving Wayland.

• LoafyLemon@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Discord is just a website, you can use an alternative client for VoIP. Xwayland should ensure it remains compatible, though.

• Enitoni@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I agree but they’re probably not going to and as long as that is the case I can see GNOME users being annoyed that they can’t use the app. It’s stupid but it’s just reality. Discord doesn’t give a rats ass about Linux.

• kib48@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

GNOME users can just switch to a different client like ArmCord, which supports linux way better than the official app

• MiddledAgedGuy@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It might. I believe the Discord app uses electron, if so you should be able to enable Wayland with some command line flags. The Wayland Arch Wiki page covers this.

Regardless, It’ll still work under Xwayland.

• Enitoni@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah but it’s using an ancient version of Electron that they refuse to update. Whenever I open Discord on Wayland I just get a black screen. It doesn’t work, and I’m forced to use browser Discord.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Our use case notwithstanding, it’s a bad move to decide on which infrastructure to use for a project as big and important as Gnome on a third party proprietary app that refuses to move on with the times or properly integrate in the OS by actually maintaining a native build.