• Hamas duped Israel into thinking it cared more about economic stability than a war, Reuters said.

• Meanwhile, it was practicing for an attack in plain sight, the report said.

• Hamas trained its fighters on a mock Israeli settlement, learning how to storm it, Reuters added.

———

The Palestinian militant group Hamas built a mock Israeli town in Gaza and practiced attacking in plain sight — but Israel didn’t react, Reuters reported on Sunday.

Hamas militants launched a surprise offensive on Israel on Saturday, in what has been described as the worst breach in Israel’s defenses in decades.

The attack followed a careful campaign of deception by Hamas that ensured Israel was caught off guard over the weekend, an unnamed source, with connections to the group, told Reuters.

Despite convincing Israel that they had no interest in war, Hamas militants were practicing for the offensive in plain sight by setting up a mock Israeli settlement in Gaza to train its fighters.

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

What a genuinely stupid take. There is absolutely no question that governments have ignored intelligence, or allowed attacks to occur in order to bolster support for military engagements from the general public.

Seriously, how naive do you have to be to suggest that is a conspiracy theory or misinformation? We know the Bush administration ignored warnings from the CIA of impending attacks by Al Qaeda prior to 9/11. Whether you chalk that up to malice or incompetence is ultimately irrelevant when it led to a quagmire that has shaped decades of US foreign policy and military action.

If you don’t think it is even worth discussing if far right crypto-fascist authoritarian like Benjamin Netanyahu is willing and able to let his own people die because the means justify the ends then you are not a serious interlocutor.

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

There is a difference between QUESTIONING a narrative and ASSERTING a cause or motivation.

Are you actually suggesting that there is no appropriate time in which to question if there is institutional corruption or an organized conspiracy within the government?

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Hey, I hear that Ricosuave user might be a pedophile. I don’t have any concrete evidence, but don’t you think they might be the kind of person to diddle kids? I mean, I am not asserting anything, just asking.

The difference is that you have absolutely zero evidence (circumstantial or otherwise) that would lead you to raise this question about me in good faith or engage in such loaded speculation.

The same cannot be said for government level inaction or malice that leads to the deaths of its own citizens in order to justify its own ends. We have MOUNTAINS of direct evidence that this can and does happen.

Just because SOME people make illogical leaps into conspiracy theory naval gazing does not mean that we just shouldn’t question the transactional nature of any government narratives when bad things happen.

Stupid people are going to have stupid ideas regardless, and that should not stop the rest of us from maintaining our skepticism and using common sense when evaluating the progression of history as it is unfolding before us.

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                9 months ago

YOU ARE THE ONE CONFLATING THESE THINGS.

JESUS H FUCKING CHRIST, Nobody ever said it was a “false flag” you absolute fucking goon. All these conspiracy buzzwords were entered into the conversation or equation BY YOU. You are attempting to place the “tinfoil hat” on everyone’s head, and then screaming SEE I GOT YA.

No, no you didn’t. You are just arguing in bad faith because for whatever reason that is your modus operandi.

• Hegar@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

“The bush administration, and the clinton before them, did not act on warning signs of 9-11” is not a conspiracy theory. “The US government allowed 9-11 to happen” is.

You’re the only one here making that leap though.

My comment only highlights his history of doing things like this, and several times I say I don’t think he was involved.

@Silverseren only says that the obviousness of the build-up makes more people wonder if netanyahu knew - which of course it does. They don’t say he did either.