• flakeshake@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Such A-to-A adaptors and cables always have been prohibited by the USB spec, but people built them anyway. A common usecase for “illegal” A-A cables i remember was connecting PCIe cards (especially GPUs and mining cards) externally to riser sockets.

• accideath@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I have an external 3,5“ HDD enclosure that needs a male to male USB 3.0 A cable to plug into a PC. Still wondering, why they didn’t use B…

• lud@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s really odd. Why use a host connector when a client connector is intended for the purpose.

Did they entirely miss the purpose of USB?

• evidences@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I bought a breadboard power supply and the options to feed it power are a barrel jack and usb-a. Considering the size of the thing mini or micro would have made way more sense.

• IsoKiero@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The ones I have go trough the onboard voltage regulator and you can use them to power USB-devices. I suppose they’ve skipped diodes and other protective components so it can feed back to the circuit, but I haven’t tested that.

• I_Miss_Daniel@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I have a similar caddy. Many years old now. The connection to the host computer is a USB-A female, so connecting it requires a male to male cable.