For me, it’s CTE’s. I find it amazing to complete a calculation with clear intermediate steps, and goes a long way towards convincing people to use SQL rather than Excel to perform calculations on large tables of data.

What construct do you like using on a daily basis?

• deegeese@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Only thing cooler than CTEs are Recursive CTEs, but I struggle to find use cases where I can sneak one in.

• luciole@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I believe recursive CTEs are pretty cool for tree traversal. Anytime you’ve got a table with a foreign key on its own primary key they might come in handy.

• megaman1970@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Those work, but require a lot of careful structuring to get right, and can be a pain to debug. With a CTE, you can just call on the intermediate steps to trace down problems.

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

CTEs are so helpful for me. They make complex queries much easier to construct and lets me ‘unit test’ the parts I’m working on.

• Leo Uino@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes, CTEs are awesome. Especially when you don’t force materialization and the optimizer can work its magic.

I’ve had a lot of fun with window functions as well.

• szeis4cookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was skeptical of CTEs for a long time. I just used subqueries when I could in T SQL, and then I got a new job and my new company used Postgres. In the adaptation process I took a new look at CTEs and became a convert - it’s just nicer and easier to read the intermediate step than as a subquery

• DarkAngelofMusic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

CTEs can be useful, particularly in PostgreSQL, where there are writable CTEs, but a lot of the time, I prefer using temp tables over CTEs, as they often perform better for larger datasets. I think one of my favorite constructs is window functions. I’ve found many uses for them, over the years.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There was one time a good while back where I used window functions to perform edge detection in a dataset. I’ll see if I can dig up that query later.

• itty53@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You can create a functional enum view by just assigning enums as the column names and storing a single row of the int (or whatever enum) representation.

Then use that view in a cross join. You can (almost) eliminate magic numbers entirely and makes the code much more human legible.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hey, that’s pretty neat. Perhaps you could wrap a the OrderType view in a CTE and join on that to get the values back?