Hello, I have a shiny new 5G connexion which I intend to use as a complement to my bad home internet.

I see very different speeds depending on the method, using speedtest.net:

• Directly from the phone: ~200Mbps
  • From the PC, using the native USB internet sharing feature: slow ramp up to ~30Mbps
  • From the PC, using “PdaNet” in USB debug mode: slow ramp up to ~200Mbps

I don’t understand why the native method would be slower, a lot of people on the internet mention that ISPs tend to throttle tethering, but PdaNet has a feature to hide the tethering and I get the nice speed without using this feature. The PdaNet approach is a more cumbersome with specific applications both on the PC and the phone. Anyone knows of a method to improve the native USB internet sharing?

• Phone: Fairphone 4
  • Android 12
  • ISP: Sosh (subsidiary of Orange, France)
  • PC: Windows 10
  • knotthatone@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It might be worthwhile contacting Fairphone support. Could be a driver or other software bug.

• adlr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Who’s your ISP? I’d suspect it’s the ISP treating tethering traffic differently. I notice that on my phone (AT&T postpaid), my phone and tethered computer even get different IPv4 addresses. I’m not saying performance should be identical if they are sharing an IPv4 address, moreso just showing that ISPs can handle tethering traffic differently.

EDIT: just saw you’re on Orange, oops! I don’t know how they operate, they could be handling tethering traffic differently from native mobile.

• plule@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s wild, I don’t even understand how they could allocate different IP adresses, I hope it’s not the issue here

• plule@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well actually I checked after your message and my cable is rated for 480Mbps - which is USB2, it does not explain the difference between native and pdanet, but still something to try