Why are reproducible builds only on one platform (Android)? Desktop version could have a built-in backdoor and data would be transferred not from the phone, but from the PC)

• crispy_kilt@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Yeah it does. The whole toolchain sucks ass. Knowing JS and its ecosystem running the same build command directly one after another on the same machine will probably yield different hashes. It’s just shit heaped upon mountains of garbage.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

And I mean that too. The Reproducible Android build was done via Docker, so I think absolutely the same thing could be done here.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

More like guesswork/assumptions than reality. I agree that Electron is meh. But I think it could still be done, f.e. with docker container as it is on Android.

• ubergeek77@lemmy.ubergeek77.chat
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

More like guesswork/assumptions than reality

Sorry to be blunt, but you’re not a developer and it shows. Android’s build system was purpose made to be reproducible. Electron was not.

There is so much going on in an Electron build, most of which is out of Signal’s control unless they maintain an entire fork of the Electron build stack. That is an enormous engineering effort for basically zero benefit.

It probably is functionally reproducible, apart from checksums differing due to build dates baked into the artifacts somewhere. It’s not as easy as you think.

If you think it’s as easy as “building it in a Docker container,” then by all means, try.

• FarLine99@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I will not enter into disputes because… not too tech savvy. But I’m still sure that it could be realized. They just decided not to bother.