Hello, I am living in a county where if you are not a member of the mainstream religion you are shunned. And atheism is frowned upon. What are your advices to deal with fundamentalists. (I am living in Turkey)

• pitninja@lemmy.pit.ninja
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think most Satanists would agree that you should be very cautious however you wish to proceed. Understand the risks of being openly heretical and only take them on if you’re willing to handle them. Speaking for what you believe and for what’s right isn’t easy, but you can’t speak at all if you’re imprisoned or killed for your beliefs, for example. I’m honestly in no place to give you advice for what you should and shouldn’t do because despite the political and religious climate being relatively hostile in the US, I can still speak my mind relatively freely. I live in Oklahoma, but even here I can wear Satanic clothing and not worry about repercussions (my threat level rises as I leave the major cities, however).

• Variden@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I will open up to friends that will not judge and try to share my worldview so they would start to be an ally. The massage of accepting people is hard to suppress.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Personally I would stay quiet and out of the way and avoid religious things. When push comes to shove I would say I don’t know. I would try to be for the things that maximally progess things. Be as progressive as I could acceptably be. Myabe taking calculated risks as I can especially in forming friendships with possibly likeminded folks.

• dingus@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Self preservation is important, as we only have one short life on this planet. I am fortunate to live in a country where I don’t have to follow the mainstream religion and no one will bat an eye, but still I have a tendency to keep my views private unless someone wishes to openly discuss them. Finding like-minded communities online is a great way to satisfy the need to discuss and be open with others…and you might even find that some of these people are local to you. Just be sure to be safe about it. Perhaps one day you might want to try to emigrate to a country where you could be more open, but it’s a difficult process and not necessarily the right answer for everyone. Best of luck.

• Variden@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for writing. I have found an open minded community and things are becoming better.