• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Shadow education secretary Bridget Philipson will say in a speech that children as young as four should learn financial literacy - including budgeting and currency exchange rates.

Labour say poor maths skills in childhood can embed problems that last into adulthood, such as the inability to analyse basic graphs and calculate the value of supermarket offers.

An OECD estimate from 2016 found that nine million working-age adults in England had low basic literacy or numeracy skills - costing the economy £25bn a year.

As part of a pre-planned review of the school curriculum, Labour said it would direct teachers to show children how numeracy is used in the world around them.

Pupils will be taught through maths concepts through household budgeting, currency exchange rates when going on holiday, sports league tables and cookery recipes.

Latest numbers show about 25% of kids do not meet the expected maths level by the end of primary school.

The original article contains 331 words, the summary contains 154 words. Saved 53%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!