• Tsinc@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Sauces, marinades, vegtable broth and spices taste good.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Look up the history and origin of making gravy and sauces … modern gravies and sauces were started and developed in the Middle Ages for beef and meat dishes to mask the taste of rotten or semi rotten food.

Yes I know there are other sauces and gravies for vegetables … but the little dish of gravy for your roast beef supper was started because someone just wanted their food to taste less like a rotting carcass because they had no refrigeration back then.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Agreed … every time I make steak, or chicken, or turkey, or pork, I always carefully collect the drippings, make a roux and mix my own gravy. I’ve done the same with goose, moose and caribou.

Takes lots of practice but now everyone raves about my gravy … no homo tho.

• CookieJarObserver@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah Shure but why limit yourself from stuff that tastes good?

Just limit consumption to reasonable levels, its also a healt thing, but i don’t see the need to never eat fish and meat anymore, once a week is ok.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Yea, one thing I feel is that vegans really are letting perfect be the enemy of good. While I do empathise and am eating less meat myself, I feel like screeching on people being omnis is missing the forest for the trees; if most people did like what you mentioned, eating meat once a week, that’s 6/7th less animals slaughtered. Along with the reductions in emissions and whatever environmental impact too, of rearing so many animals for their meat.

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

When I, a man, am eating by myself I include meat sparingly, but when I eat food prepared by the women in my life, meat is front and centre and hard to avoid. I guess that is the threat to masculinity? The “why won’t he eat this perfectly good meal I made for him?”

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

What is there to talk about? There is nothing wrong with the meals.

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  9 months ago

You want me to lie? I’m not necessarily looking for “planty meals”. I gravitate in that direction when I cook because that’s the kind of food I can make taste good, but that is not necessarily someone else’s skillset. There is nothing wrong with the meat dishes put in front of me. They taste good too.

• elouboub@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

These studies are made through a lens of “men have frail egos, how else can we frame this viewpoint”.

I don’t give a fuck about “masculinity” or “femininity”. If it’s cheap, tastes good, and isn’t full of EEEEEEs, I’ll buy it. Standard “aubergine”, tomatoes, spring onions and whatever aren’t tasty without a whole lot of prep. Fuck salads. Give me that cheap, spicy, Indian sauce that I can lather onto sweet potato purree, carrot pasta, and pickled mango… and it costs less than a dish with a fucking steak? Hell yeah I’m buying it! Steak will be what I eat when I go out.

Make another study focusing on pricing and how much money you can save per year eating veggie and I bet my ass it’ll have an impact. These stupid “my gender is better than your gender” bullshit doesn’t help.

• No1RivenFucker@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Most modern social “science” papers are just “people I agree with are actually just superior people, and everyone I disagree with is stupid and dumb”, with the most blatant statistics fuckery on earth

• Psythik@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Also because it’s still the only way to get enough protein unless you want to drink a bunch of shakes every day. Anyone who has counted calories before can tell you that most men are deficient unless they’re heavy meat eaters.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

As a vegetarian for 30 uears and now Vegan for probably 2-3 years, i can attest that your protien statement is false. i have never done protien shakes as a diet supplement. The lentils I buy are 30% protien. Other Beans are good also.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Lol. plain beans can be boring. But cooked into varoius Indian, ethiopian or african dishes with spices they are delicious