• sata_andagi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Expected from people thinking that there is a Linux Inc. with Torvalds as CEO that is responsible for every part of desktop Linux experience

• MyFairJulia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Open Source doesn’t mean automatically that applications look ugly. It only means that they look ugly on non-Linux systems. Like VLC Player, Open Office, etc.

Linux systems are easy to install. The real challenge is to diagnose an issue. What caused the crash of GTA V? The new Mesa drivers? The new Gamescope update? Some update in the game that breaks in conjunction with KDE running in Wayland? But you launched the game in xwayland, how could Wayland still cause trouble? Or is it the latest FEX update you installed because you saw a Youtuber playing Elden Ring on their iPhone 14 Pro with HoloISO and you figured that the 15 Pro should handle the game perfectly?

• michaelmrose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Kinda funny I use and have have used Nvidia + X11 from 2003-today with recent drivers and kernel but not the absolute latest that came out 10 seconds ago.

I never worry about whether it’s an issue with Wayland, Gamescope, or xWayland because I don’t use any of the above, I don’t worry about FEX because I’m not on something exotic and ARM just plain x86-64. I don’t worry about MESA. I also don’t worry about Nvidia drivers as they are completely separate from the kernel and virtually never problematic.

If I had a problem with a game I would just start the game from a terminal window and google the error messages to discover what they are liable to mean. If I ever did encounter a problem with a new version I would just install the old version and try the new version again next month. This would take 2 minutes and a reboot.

I find behavior on Linux extremely predictable, observable, and deterministic. I can literally at any time roll back my OS to day or update by rebooting into that version of the OS without messing with my user files. Furthermore one doesn’t normally find bugs that effect just you I can virtually always find out what component or app is misbehaving and track an issue related to that misbehavior or at worst create such an issue myself and watch the progress.

• Franzia@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m glad to be reading this. I just got a new AMD PC built and I’m installing Nobara right now. Why does everything wanna use Wayland when “use X11” is the first tip on ProtonDB? The rest of those things, I know I’m using them and I have no idea what they all do 🤣

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Open source doesn’t mean things look ugly anywhere

It just means if you don’t like how it looks then you can change it

• Syncrossus@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Have you asked Grandpa to install Windows? Good fucking luck. It’s hard to get a windows install working in less than a day, even without reading the 800 pages of legalese which state that your personal information, body, mind, and first born are property of Microsoft.