• PM_ME_VINTAGE_30S [he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Use Invidious! No ads, no username required, no reporting to YouTube, Sponsorblock can be used, and you still get unlimited access to YouTube’s content. There are dozens of instances, but inv.tux pizza usually works for me.

I know that Nebula has exclusive infotainment, but sometimes I just want to watch people be bad at video games.

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I feel like this might be blasphemous around here, but I actually like being logged in and getting tailored algorithmic suggestions on YouTube. Unlike most people it seems to know my interests pretty well.

• manapropos@lemmy.basedcount.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m with you on this one. Although it seems like a slippery slope, I’d like to see some of the alternatives give you the same sort of algorithm (on an opt-in basis of course)

• DieterParker@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same. I really like my newpipe, but the sheer amount of unfiltered fuckface influencer bullshit videos ‘currently trending’ on it’s frontpage is more disgusting than any algorithmic youtube bubble will ever be.

• fosstulate@iusearchlinux.fyi
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

These frontends need to introduce a preferred-startpage feature that enables setting Subscriptions as the default. I’d be interested to know from others if there’s any technical hurdle, because I’m surprised it’s not already available.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I had one warhammer video autoplay and now all of my recomendations and autoplayed videos are warhammer videos. I have no interest in warhammer.

• oyenyaaow@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

you can go onto your youtube history, search for that video and remove it from your history, and it will stop influencing your recommendations.

every now and then i watch a video about a topic i’m not really interested in except for that one video, and then had to remove it from history.

• SnipingNinja@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

It doesn’t do that for me, it’ll sprinkle related videos in my suggestions but overwhelmingly my suggestions stay similar to what I had before and I just scroll past the videos I am not interested in much and marking uninterested on anything which I’ll never watch

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I have autopay disabled which probably helps. I also use YouTube too much so it quickly picks up when I never tap a video of a certain topic.

• PM_ME_VINTAGE_30S [he/him]@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Most Invidious instances allow you to sign up for an account on the instance to subscribe to people and track your history. Alternatively, I use the FreeTube app on computers I control for “watching TV”. It can track and transfer your subscriptions and history locally if you choose to use those features.

I still get recommended videos next to watched ones from both services. For those who see that as a negative, I think FreeTube allows you to hide any YouTube elements you don’t want to see.

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Oh? Maybe I’ll look into it then. I’ve found some of my favourite channels from suggestion in my feed.

• BEEKAYRANDEE@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Checking this out based on your recommendation and I already like it. Simple, no bullshit, and is similar to use to something like NewPipe but for desktops.

• PupBiru@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

yeah i found it this morning entirely because of the ad block thing (i actually don’t ad block YT because i want to support creators, but i hate that now that’s not a choice, so i’m making the last remaining choice available)

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I would love to support the creators I watch through youtube but they all get demonitized for bs reasons. That’s the only reason I don’t actually buy premium. It’s not the cost, it’s just that none of the money would actually make it to the people I watch.