• 4 Posts
  • 912 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 18th, 2023

help-circle

• I think maybe this whole ‘political’ vs ‘not political’ thing is where we’re getting stuck.

I would argue that at least my part in this thread hasn’t been political at all, but instead a rather simple comment on the character of the two candidates. I’m more concerned with how they conduct themselves as people, not the policies they push as politicians. This is more a question of ethics and morality on human to human level. Your pointing out the ethics of genocide and capitalism. Which are great and completely valid points, but they’re also large nebulous concepts that can rarely ever land fully on the shoulders of one person. Kinda outside the scope of my original comment.

I haven’t brought up any specific details of eithers presidency because I have no meaningful opinions on that front. However, the simple fact that one of them has literally on multiple occasions outright glorified raping women and the other won’t pardon his own son of a serious crime is more than enough for me to put them on completely different shit podiums.

• I think you might have a somewhat warped understanding of what the office of President actually is. Sure it has tremendous influence over the higher branches of the federal government and therefore the nation, and to a lesser extent the world. But, the office is hardly all powerful or even particularly capable of making all the decisions. The President can never be wholly to blame for all the bad things happening in the world, as much as we’d all like too.

Also, at no point have I actually argued that either one of our favorite culturally relevant old guys is good or bad. I only ever hinted at the inherent intent behind their actions and words, and questioned the soundness of electing someone that takes perverse joy in proving that he’s an overcooked cunt. Biden at the very least tries to mumble his way to kindness.