• Gabu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Are you braindead or just a rightwinger? It’s difficult to tell, sometimes.

Have you ever heard about other countries existing? Not everywhere is a car-centric shithole.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t live in that car-centric shithole. So much for assumptions.

And I take calling me “rightwinger” as a serious insult.

There are cities in my country that managed to strike a good balance between cars and bikes. E.g. with continuous bike paths and stuff like that. But most cities here have two problems: They simply jump short with bike paths and leave safe bike access as a crazy patchwork on the city map, making it more or less useless. And they keep public transport back because it actually costs money.

I’ve nothing against bikes. Occasionally I rant against stupid and irresponsible bikers, of which there are too many, and that give normal bikers a bad name. I would love to see bike-friendly cities, but I also see cities stumbling around like a beheaded chicken when it comes to implementation.

So, as long as public transport is no usable alternative, a city has to deal with cars as a means of people coming into a city as workers and customers. The alternative would be a city that completely relies on local people. Might be environment friendly, but simply not realistic. They just don’t have the purchase power to keep a cities businesses alive.