• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Suburbanites say how they need car to get groceries, bro having to get your groceries in giant trips and plan long ahead sucks dick. I’d much prefer a store on my walk home from work where i can quickly stop to pick up the things you need for a day or two.

• whitepawn@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Time is a commodity, and becomes even more tight as an individual living from paycheck to paycheck. Grocery shopping every day or two likely isn’t tenable. Not if you want time to sleep between 16h work days.

It’s why some poor folks rely on fast food. There’s no time for anything else.

• neo [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I walk to my grocery store and I still preferentially plan ahead and buy enough provisions to last me at least a week. I would not want to visit the grocery store every two days, that’s such an unnecessary time sink.

• joolez
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yes, Cars need space, yes, Cars are totally useless in cities and yes, even in suburbs you don’t need a car.

But whats really frustrating to me is the condescending view of people with perfect infrastructure in people with Cars in general.

I live in a village and you know why? Because I’m raised in a Village, thats how I’m used to live and it’s not an Option to me to move 20-30 miles away in a town where I know nobody. The other reason is that there are just not enough apartments so even if I would wan’t it’s either crazy expensive or just not available.

I say this because I read far too often that people should just move into the city and leave just all behind because the authors are just life long urbans.

I fully argee that people with good existing infrastructure should leave cars behind because both is stupid. But if we all can also accept slightly different life plan with their own pros and cons that would be great.

• ProperlyProperTea@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Idk how other people feel, but I just want options. I want the option to take the train if I want, or drive if I want. I shouldn’t feel like a car is necessary.

• Runcible [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I think this is more about how our urban planning refuses to meaningfully address that a car only approach is clearly not workable and only builds more lanes / implements express toll lanes and fee or tax based punitive systems but won’t run enough busses or make metro lanes so that they function safely & well etc.