Seriously, though, Comic Sans was originally designed to be legible at the smallest possible font size, and the lack of hard lines makes it easier to read!

• Parsnip8904@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same thoughts here. Went in expecting to hate it instantly and found that it sort of looked nice.

• bobslaede@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think some of the reason might be that Comic sans used to have really bad kerning. But with a mono font it is not really an issue.

• qwacko@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, this has me intrigued. May try it out in vscode just for a lark. Possibly actually will be easier to read with some nice shapes…

• FiskFisk33@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh no, I was ready to pick up my pitchfork, but that is super legible. Brb, I need to go take a look at myself in the mirror…

• bermuda@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Definitely makes sense considering some dyslexic people have found it helpful in terms of legibility

• a_statistician@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep, it shares a lot of characteristics with fonts like Dyslexie, but without some of the more irritating (but helpful) gravity additions that throw off non-dyslexic readers and/or just look odd.

• Seraph089@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The additions throw off some dyslexic readers too, I’ve always had an even harder time reading purpose-built dyslexia fonts. Comic mono is top tier for me, it still looks stupid but the readability is incredible.

• mustyOrange@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

First of all, how dare you

Second of all, how dare you

Third of all, at least it isn’t papyrus

• offthecrossbar@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This looks way better than it has any right to, I expected to hate this. Now I’m looking at fonts again reevaluating some shit

• GraceGH@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I came here to get mad but comic sans monospaced looks really good. I’m impressed. I might switch my IDE to this.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Looks to me like it has a ligature that visually appears as two separate characters but are spaced to be close together. See the <= in the code examples on the page.

• curiosityLynx@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Title is misleading, it’s a monospaced derivative of Comic Sans that’s actually nice, not actual Conic Sans.

• curiosityLynx@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I miss RES’s context feature now. Thank god this thread wasn’t too long, so I was able to find my comment you replied to in it in a reasonable amount of time.

• sjolsen@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Friendship ended with font gatekeeping and dogpiling, accessibility is my new best friend

• NattyNatty2x4@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I will forever believe the comic sans hate is one of the internet’s seemingly random circlejerks, like hating Imagine Dragons.

• Mifuyne@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There were legitimate reasons from a design standpoint. It’s badly balanced, the spacing is inconsistent…and it was everywhere.

Funny enough, I suspect what makes it a badly designed font might be why some people with dyslexia have an easier time reading with it. The badly balanced, poor spacing, probably made the letters in the font more distinguishable from one another.

If you (or anyone else that’s interested) have the time, I think this article, “Why You Hate Comic Sans,” goes over all of it pretty well.

• musicalcactus@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve heard that too - part of the issue with dyslexia is that it’s easy to flip the letters around in your head, when none of the letters look the same, it makes it easier to read. Open Dyslexia is another one that does something similar.

• KerPop47@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I recently read a review of 1990s pop aesthetics, and it was probably intentional for reasons that resonate with us again. In the 90s, with the advent of omnipresent computers, organic, amateurish handwriting became really popular, and I think that’s what comic sans is good at looking like.