• pascal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m having a hard time understanding your rules here.

So if I own a car, I sleep in that car, I’m not working class anymore?

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

You don’t understand the difference between owning stuff, and owning stuff for a living?

It’s “I own a house I live in” vs “I own multiple houses I rent out to derive am income.”

Owning things for a living isn’t a job - it’s rent-seeking.

• sigmund@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Plenty of “landlords” are working class who’ve managed to purchase an apartment / small house / etc. Certainly not “owning shit” for a living

cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

If a significant portion of your income is owning shit, you’re definitionally not working class.

You’d be petite bourgeois.

If you’re not profiting from hoarding property during a shortage, why are you doing it?

• mycorrhiza they/them@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

it means they have one foot in the working class and one foot on the other side of the fence. their material interests are only partially aligned with those of other workers, and partially aligned with the interests of people who own for a living. they are in a position to throw another working person out on the street or raise their rent, and to potentially get rewarded for doing so. it’s a perverse incentive.

• Delphia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

By next year my starter flat will be a rental, my family will finally be in something with a yard but I still have to get up and go to work every morning to pay for the one with the yard and if I’m REALLY lucky the other one wont cost me much per year.

This is why I’m suspicious of these posts, it almost seems like social engineering to make the idea of investing your money in something safe and lucrative (like property) to be socially unacceptable for individuals. When there is always a billionaire or a hedge fund or an investment group who are nameless, faceless and soulless who will dive on any opportunity to take more from us.

cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Hoarding multiple properties during a shortage should be socially unacceptable, but definitely isn’t.

I understand that you’re motivated to do this because it’s easy money, but I’m not going to lie to you to make you feel any better about that choice. The fact that billionaires and hedge funds exist and are bad doesn’t make what you’re doing any better - the only difference between you and them is the scale of the rent-seeking you’re engaging in.

It’s a bad, but lucrative thing to do - if the labour you’re doing to secure that profit is occasionally feeling a pang of guilt, I’d say you have it easy.

• ccunix@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Then please do not be an arsehole landlord.

It is not the tennant’s responsibility to pay the mortgage on your flat. Nor should they return it to you as new.

What you rent it for is the market rate, which hopefully will cover your mortgage+expenses. It may not, that is your problem, not the tennant’s.

When the tenndnt moves out there will be changes and even damage. Just like your primary property will have changes and damage.

When the tennant highlights an issue, fix it NOW. They are paying you a lot of money and deserve a lot of service.