• Candelestine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Are there any non-extremist anti-car communities around? I hate cars too, but I also hate simple, blanket solutions like the world is easy or something.

For some people, not driving is just death from starvation. So, no. Thanks though.

• mondoman712@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t see anything extremist in this community. It’s mostly complaining about problems with cars and a few memes like this post. Talking about alternatives is fine here, as per the rules. There isn’t much as far as other communities to discuss alternatives, at least not that I’ve found. Here’s what I can point to:

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Ooh, thank you. I was just complaining about an annoying meme on the internet in a comments section, don’t mind me.

Unfortunately I think we’re defederated from beehaw still, lol, but the transit one is new for me. Appreciated.

• Izzy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

For some people, not driving is just death from starvation

That seems like the exact kind of thing many people are against. All of this was by design in order to create a dependence on cars. This is not how it has to be. There are a lot of alternatives that are worth investing in.

I don’t believe anyone would suggest to immediate destroy all cars right this second without putting in any kind of necessarily alternative infrastructure. That would be a pretty extreme stance on the matter.

I would like to see the US government stop subsidizing cars and start subsidizing alternatives such as trains so that maybe in 30-50 years we can start to see that it is possible to live without driving a car.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

The ironic thing is that there really is a “simple, blanket solution” in this case: changing the zoning code to stop outlawing density.

It’s not a fast solution – the law can be changed at the stroke of a pen, but the redevelopment enabled by the rule change will occur over years and years – but it’s the only one that actually solves the problem.

• sadreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ya its called major big cities, mainly on east coast since anything built out ww2 sucks.

The catch is you will need to be rather “affluent” to enjoy the good life in this here country.

• citruslumps@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

People are so bad a naming causes.

This toxic ass community is the same as BLM and anti work. Both have good intentions but alienate most people with their terrible names.

At least anti work had a better named workreform equivalent. But BLM shoulda be accountability for killer cops or something. I bad at naming shit too but hopefully you get my point.

Fuck cars is about infrastructure and mostly just cities. But it’s so terriblely named it will never catch on.

• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Fuck cars is mostly a meme community spreading ideas from the larger urbanist movement, which has the benefit of having a less hostile-sounding name.

The meme community inarguably manages to recruit new people into the urbanist movement, and I haven’t seen strong evidence that it’s alienating more people than it is recruiting, fwiw.