• Wage_slave@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Even while having a car, I found my self taking transit anyways. To the point where both my daughters (15 and 17) have absolutely no desire to get a car or their drivers because not only do they see what’s happening to the climate, but know transit well enough that vehicles are next to pointless for them. My understanding is that many, not all, of their friends thing the same way, too.

That, and I don’t care if you drive a BMW. My ride costs 150k, and comes with a driver who opens the door for me. Fuck cars and the status that goes with 'em, too.

• GarfieldYaoi [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Also, it’s ironic that cars are supposed to be a status symbol because “public transit is for poor people” but cars are practically mandated and cities where public transit exists are expensive to live in thanks to high rents.

Actually, it’s public transit that should be the sign of wealth and cars that are “for poor people” but something tells me that by some strange alchemy, that means a car is a sign that one is a salt-of-the-earth working class type now.

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Interesting fact, it costs tens of thousands of dollars to get a permit to own a car in Singapore.