• shinobizilla@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s also decentralized, but honestly I’m not a big fan of jumping on another Jack Dorsey project

Jack Dorsey is the reason why some of these perennially online personalities moved to Bluesky. The AT protocol maybe decentralized but there’s no unofficial instances of it yet (afaik).

• stoiclime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m on both, and both vibes are pretty great. I prefer Mastodon simply because the app is superbly made, tiny file size, no trackers etc. Bluesky is a buggy mess right now. Also, 3rd party apps on Mastodon are amazing.

• shinobizilla@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I wouldn’t consider another VC money backed app/service anymore no matter how good the tech might be. I hope we all remember the hard lessons from the fiascos from the recent months.

• consumer451@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

This brings up my main questions with mastodon and lemmy… who is going to pay the server costs at scale?

It would be nice if those mechanisms began sooner than later.

• thayer@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It will need to be by donation and/or sponsorship, systems for which are currently in place for most of the larger instances.

My hope is to see academia, web hosts, and non-profits involved at some point too. I think the software is just too immature at this early stage to expect much in this regard. Once more advanced safeguards are in place (content filters, admin tools, etc.), it may become more viable from a liability perspective.

• randomwither@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Word. Mastodon is fabulous. There’s not very many people, but I haven’t encountered many assholes. And does it ever run smooth!

• stoiclime@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s the best made app imo, with the best performance and design. If I had to rank them, I would rank Mastodon > Twitter > Threads > Bluesky.

• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I see plenty of people on BlueSky without .bluesky.social in their @. Doesn’t mean they’re on another instance?