Arguably, I find automations make a smart home truly smart rather than perks like voice control do. What are your favourite automations running at home?

• tylerh@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago
    • Exterior house lights - I have a bunch of automations around this, the most complex is that lights will turn on if one of us is away from home, but within 8km (proximity) after dark – going to upgrade this to reference a photoresistor soon instead of sun state
    • Laundry - push notification when both the washer & dryer are finished. Also controls exhaust fan. Planning to upgrade this with a motion sensor so I can detect when the washer has run but nobody has moved the wet laundry.
    • Extended away - If we’re going to be away for a while (eg: vacation), turn thermostat to Eco. UI control to set return date & time, when it comes out of Eco so the house is temperate when we get back. This also disables firing of some automations.
    • Currently building a garage sensor, which will detect garage doors open/closed, car present/absent, motion sensor, temperature/humidity, photoresistor of ourdoors, and manual garage door open/close buttons