I’m just curious if it is on the table at some point. I only see a small slice of beehaw when I’m logged in but the active participation feels like it is on a downward trend. Like, there appears to be ~700 on here right now. I know numbers aren’t everything, but overall engagement is important. I’m on several instances with different accounts. I’ve been gravitating towards my .world account because it is so active. I get a grouchy or rude reply still from time to time, but it seems like most of the trolls have gone or been removed. That instance seems to be maturing fast and growing some personality all its own. The server seems constantly stressed, but Ruud is holding it together. The moderation seems much more in check now too. That’s just my perspective. I’d like to see everyone come together again, but I am just one user.

• Mango@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think that begging the mods for refederation will be a common occurrence in the newly emerging fediverse, but I think we’ll all just have to get used to the idea that the fediverse is about voluntary communities and you’ll have to forge your own path using multiple accounts/etc. The entire point of defederation is that Beehaw doesn’t want certain communities or people with certain viewpoints congregating here - that’s the choice of this community and the use of multiple accounts does get around that but it’s just what will have to be done if you want to be someone associated with defederated communities.

• davehtaylor@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think we’ll all just have to get used to the idea that the fediverse is about voluntary communities

So many people have only ever known the Internet and web as a handful of centralized walled gardens that have a financial interest in keeping you locked in and scrolling. So when you have a system that is explicitly built in a federated manner, explicitly built to give communities the ability to choose who and how they interact with others, and you don’t have algorithmically generated content, those people are just lost.

• greenskye@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

To be clear, Beehaw has said that they’d refederate with lemmy.world once better mod tools exist. I don’t believe they have any particular problem with the instance beyond the fact that it was too big and too open to control the inevitable trolls and bot accounts that come with it.