Over the last several weeks, according to my Screen Time, I roughly average 20hrs using Apollo weekly. Don’t judge me.

So far this week I have only used Apollo 18 minutes and used either Mlem or the webapp for individual instances for around 5 hours (and that’s not counting time that I have spent on desktop here which I don’t usually do for Reddit, Apollo was Reddit for me).

That said, I think that is thanks to how this community immediately came together and started working hard to build things up, and the amazing admins, like @ruud@lemmy.world for maintaining order and stability as the influx hit the servers. If this mass exodus had happen at any point in the last several years, I feel a lot of people would just wait it out or fractured across the web. But, thanks to Lemmy and Kbin being up at the right time for this to happen it has propelled the online communities into the next step in the grand internet experiment.

So, big thanks to everyone here making things happen and to the Lemmy OGs for taking us in, and admins for keeping a rough over our heads as we settle in.

• PotjiePig@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Only 20 hours? Thats less than 3 hours a day. I’m half way through that on Lemmy this morning and I’m not out of bed yet. Christ.

• swnt@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think that anything could have replaced reddit for us.

I’m not that sure. Forums have existed for niche communities since long, but over the past decade many niches migrated to Reddit due to its popularity, network effects and it’s tree style comments + algorithmically -sorted feed.

I value having this in Lemmy and kbin.socisl etc. as well - and these things didn’t exist until a while ago. And the fundamental content aggregation standard ActivityPub wasn’t standardised as a W3C standard until 2018. The situation is indeed different now that it was back then.

• MayTheBananaBeWithYo@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This is what I was getting at. Any other point in time, people would have just sat on the sidelines until subs opened again, but now that alternatives exist, people have somewhere to go.

I personally think that regardless of Reddit going back on API pricing and what not, they burned too many bridges with outside devs that third party apps would be going away period. They didn’t just cross the line, the treated it like the Olympic long jump. Reddit did some real damage to a lot of communities, not just hobby’s but users with disabilities, neurodivergent users, and many more that relied on apps to help them use Reddit.

If it wasn’t for the fediverse, I’m not gonna lie, I’d probably go back. But now that I’m here, no way.