fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

good news:

1. Looks like opposition gets safe majority, but not supermajority (neither 3/5 required for rejecting presidential veto and some other things or 2/3 required for changing constitution, finalizing some international agreements and some other things). Seems like PiS won’t be able to get majority in any way imaginable
    2. The pro-russian bitches party, konfederacja, polled around 9% but in exit polls they scored nice 6.2%. It would be even better (and funnier) if they got less than 5%, which is electoral threshold, but i don’t hold my breath for this one, they are already sorely disappointed after they got high on their own supply of propaganda where they found one poll with 13.4% support for them. They’re kinda like AfD, in terms of better known euro parties
    3. Electoral participation seems to be record high at almost 73%. This seems to contribute to lower PiS score
    4. Parallel to elections there was kinda “referendum” with weaselly worded broad and imprecise questions meant to stir shit re: immigrants. However participation in this one is less than 40% and so it’s not binding

bad news:

none. i’m drinking tonight

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

whoa whoa there, not so fast. first thing is forming the new government, then they’ll spend a year or so unfucking up what pis fucked up and uprooting their people from some seats in public institutions, and then it’s not a given that pis loses next election. but it’s an improvement

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

one thing that i’m gonna give to them: PiS kickstarted sorely needed modernization of polish army. turns out that’s the problem that responds pretty well to pouring money at it. who could have guessed?

i hope this continues, even if limited in scale

• sznowicki@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Konfederacja is not like afd. PiS is like AfD. Konfederacja is like a child of FDP with NPD

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Nah i wouldn’t say so. Konfa is more like AfD, PiS is more like CSU that got high on power and let intrusive thoughts win

PiS - Fidesz is also reasonable comparison

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

schadenfreude delivery:

These are PiS high command’s cheerful faces at yesterday’s post-election conference. Technically they won elections as they got largest share of votes, but they won’t be able to form majority government

• skillissuer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

looks like KO + TD + Lewica, so socdems, centrist liberals, centrist-ish christian democrats and agrarians, overall proeuropean

• devfuuu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

So, for an outsider, is this similar as current, more or less righ wing? Will Poland go back on some problems regarding lgbt…+ community or will persecution continue?

• skillissuer
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

right wing populist are out of govt, better rule of law, judiciary, cooperation with EU, maybe even lgbt rights or abortion rights are in <- don’t hold your breath for the last one because that one new christian democrat party is part of that coalition and it’s unknown how will they behave

• Hubi@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

PiS are right-wing populists. The proposed coalition would be liberal/center left. So way less radical right-wing stuff and more support for LGBT rights.