Japanese firm believes it could make a solid-state battery with a range of 745 miles that charges in 10 minutes

• sirspate@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This sounds more like a capacitor than a battery. Also: that’s a lot of current to dump into an energy storage device in a short period of time. There’s no way you’re going to be able to do that at home without major overhauls to the last mile of the electrical grid. (I also question whether dedicated charging stations will be able to do it either, without some sort of serious on-site energy storage/buffer to moderate the spikes in current draw to the broader electrical grid.)

• Freyrider@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Charging at home generally doesn’t have to be fast though, only when you’re on the go would you need extra fast charging. With newer generation batteries (like sulfur and lithium based batteries) faster charging will be easier but dedicated charging stations probably need some adjustment indeed.

• Brkdncr@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Mazda played around with capacitors instead of batteries a while back. It didn’t get far.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Capacitors will not be relevant for storing energy for EVs in the foreseeable future. All cars currently run on batteries and there is no technology on the horizon that would change that.

• jimbolauski@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Capicators are not as good as batteries at energy capicity vs weight and volume. Capicators are great at releasing large amounts of energy.

• swope@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the idea behind super-fast charging is that people drive to specialized charging stations rather than charging at home.

Building and maintaining vehicle storage (parking) is already expensive, and then add on the electric infrastructure for charging stations… Drivers will need to be sharing those spaces.

• XGC75@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

First of all, best user icon. Saw it before, commenting on it now

Second, the intent of supercaps shouldn’t be range but batter loading. The limit of regenerative braking is not in the torque of the motor but what you need to do to transform the generated current into chemical energy in a battery. It’s not as simple as passing the current through a capacitor, but with supercaps it is. So with the supercaps you can dump extreme currents and either use the energy for taking off or redirect it to the battery.

I demonstrated this in my senior design project at uni and it worked well. Didn’t have a load I couldn’t absorb with a bunch of the caps. The issue was they’re very low voltage, so similar to the li-ion cells you need a lot of them in series to match the system voltage.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Fast chargers are already a thing. Those are used on road trips. For your wall box at home 11 KW are completely fine. All you need to do is get the battery full overnight. You don’t need huge charging speeds for that.

• swope@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I don’t have an EV, and my experience trying to charge rentals has been miserable. There is a lot of room for improvement.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

There definitely is. It’s still the worst aspect of owning an EV, especially if you don’t have your own charger. But I still would never ever want to drive an ICE car again.

• Xeelee@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

No. It’s a battery not a capacitor. And no, you won’t do home charging at 100s of kilowatts. That’s totally pointless. Fast charging is for road trips, when you want short charging breaks. If you could charge a 100 KWh battery at a continuous 350 KW, you’d be done in less than 20 minutes from 0 to full. 350 is about the maximum we can do today and i don’t see that growing much higher. Those huge charging speeds being thrown around in these articles are not practically relevant.