I’ll believe it when I can buy it.

• iamnotme@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive though.

They use batteries in their hybrid tech, and if they can make money selling battery tech to other companies of course they are going to. It doesn’t mean they believe electric only is now the way forward.

• macrocephalic@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

But if you create a battery which basically fixes all the problems with electric cars then you’re going to go all in on it.

• iamnotme@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Creating the battery doesn’t fix all the problems.

You still have the issue of electricity supply.

• macrocephalic@lemmy.fmhy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

That’s a problem with a known solution though. We have the tech and processes we need to scale out the electricity grid. Everyone driving around a 60kwh+ battery will probably help find solutions to peak load as well.

• jkflying
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yes, but then they got a new CEO who is going all-in on electric and ditching hydrogen.

• moonspiders
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I think I might have heard something similar a year ago. Actually, I might have heard it every year for the past 10 years

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Toyota is so far behind the industry in EVs that they have to release BS stories like this to make it seem like they are relevant. The proof is in the puding, and the only EV they have out right now has way too little range, costs way too much and has ridiculous charge speeds. It’s a 1/2-hearted effort, which is the case with all the Japanese brands.

• OptimusPrimeDownfallOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I think they rested on their laurels for too long - the hybrids were so good, but they ran down that technology too far. Now they have to either do research into something else, which they’re behind on, or keep pushing and hope for a breakthrough.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Oh absolutely. Luckily for them, they have vast, vast resources which they can use to catch up, but that doesn’t happen overnight. The rest of the Japanese carmakers are in worse shape. Except for Nissan which jumped into EVs early on, but they never leverages their early tech.

• crashez
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Don’t buy it. I can’t believe the ongoing hype around electric cars. Just another layer of pollution on top. Drive less. Create walkable cities. Where is c/fuckcars btw?

• moonspiders
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Well, there are scenarios where cars are the right choice - goods delivery, countryside with low density and small towns,… In that case, battery-powered electric cars could be the best option

• PerCarita
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think this is where the right policies can mitigate the problem, build more rails transport infrastructure. Most countries that are heavily reliant on trucks and cars to transport their goods are usually ones where the government were and still are beholden to automobile or oil lobby groups.

• Emoba
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Bullshit. Would public transport be better? Yeah. Are governments going to build public transport systems to get rid of cars in the next few years? Absolutely not.

Electric cars aren’t “just another layer of pollution on top.” They objectively pollute much less. They don’t come without a CO2 footprint, but it’s literally the next best thing to do to somehow reduce the carbon emissions while people are arguing over how to reduce traffic. Traffic is “just” about our quality of life but greenhouse gases are about the survival of humanity and arguing we shouldn’t reduce emissions of the latter because that doesn’t improve the former is like arguing that we shouldn’t try to stop bleeding out because that doesn’t also clean up the mess we made after shooting our leg.

• crashez
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Every time we change an old, working or repairable product for something newly produced we add a new layer of pollution, no matter what the infinite growth marketing crew wants you to believe.

• Emoba
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I know. But older, broken cars are replaced. What is your suggestion for these? Why should any new cars that replace old ones still be running on fossil fuels? I’m not arguing that we should wreck all existing cars immediately, I’m arguing that those who are produced and bought anyway should be battery electric.

• mvee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Dayum doesn’t California already have enough problems with its power grid?