• Rhoeri@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Ahhh… you’re one of those edgy internet atheists. Carry on then.

• OurTragicUniverse@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’ve met enough of these people to know it’s all show and ego. He inserted hinself into an event that didn’t involve him or his religion and suggested something unfeasibly ridiculous that made him look all selfless and pious and got him worldwide recognition and praise from millions of people.

• Rhoeri@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Amazing! You’re so good at knowing what people’s intent is without even knowing- or so much as having ever even having heard of them!

Seriously, have you ever thought of turning that into a career in psychotherapy or criminal investigation? I’d wager that either of these fields would love to have someone with your skills!

• Zorque@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Most people aren’t awful, but those that are often have a large impact on the world. The problem is that people are either too busy trying to survive to care, or they assume the world isn’t worth saving because they assume everyone else is awful. So they do nothing but bitch about how bad everyone else is and do nothing to change it.

• Rhoeri@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Fair enough- but in addition to that, I have zero faith in people that make knee-jerk assessments of others they know absolutely nothing about. It makes them seem childish and immature, as well as ignorant and unworthy of being taken seriously.

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

How does it not involve his religion? His parishioners live in Gaza. He’s not a random Iowa priest, his jurisdiction is in Israel. I also think this is naïve, but what do you think a better step to take here would be?

• OurTragicUniverse@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Not inserting himself into this for cheap publicity would be far more respectful. He’s making catholics look great in the media though so I’m sure he will be rewarded for this.

If he wants to help, he should help people on the ground where he is.

• modifier@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

What does a cardinal do with all of this Ill-gotten publicity? What kind of aim would incentivize such an otherwise-irrational move just to get publicity?

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

What should he have answered, when asked if he would take their place? This cardinal’s first public comment on the subject was to answer yes, when reporters asked him if he would take their place. I assume he’s willing to do it, so it’s better not to just lie about that.