cross-posted from: https://sh.itjust.works/post/740791

When I got into HLL back in 2021, it was a one of a kind experience of strong community, teamwork, and a balance of realism, strategy, and “arcadey” enough to not get boring. I am fairly concerned that T17 will not be able to maintain the games popularity / enjoy-ability going forward.

My hope is that they can turn it around, but knowing how modern game development goes from larger studios, it’s not looking good imo.

Anyone who’s lurking around here, I’d like to hear your thoughts on what you think the future holds for this game, whether it still has a chance or is really doomed.

• brentg7@sh.itjust.works
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

it’s on sale now! the games not nearly as bad as a state as some people are making it out to be. lots of people still play, it’s still fun for me, I play every night.

• BenFranklinstein@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The veterans of the game have always been over dramatic in terms of changes. They bitched on free to play weekends and bitch if someone doesn’t use their microphone.

But some of the recent happenings with T17 definitely aren’t positive. I am in a wait and see pattern.

• sisyphus@sh.itjust.works
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, the original devs, Black Matter Studios, sold the game to Team 17 and are no longer working on the project. It’s now completely run by T17 and the first few updates and trailers have been very controversial to the current player base. The player count has dropped significantly since the most recent updates over the last few months. Pretty upsetting, considering it is one of my favorite games.

• caut_R@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

What the hell, that sucks to hear. Never heard of a case quite like this before.

• Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I think a lot of the concerns are being overstated. Yeah, there’s been a rough start for the new team, but acting as if the game is dying just because of a bad patch is maybe a little premature. Give it six months and see where things are at.

End of the day, it’s a really good, really fun game. There are still some badly needed features, like a party system (insane that that’s still missing), but it’s not exactly going down in flames.