Ford lays off 700 who were building electric version of F-150 | CNN Business::Ford is laying off about 700 workers who build the F-150 Lightning, the electric version of its best-selling pickup truck, and unlike other recent layoffs this one has nothing to do with the ongoing strike by the United Auto Workers union.

• Drop_All_Users@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I mean I very much want an electric truck just not for $70,000+, I need a a vehicle that can do the following:

• Carry a 4 person family
    • Is reliable/newer/won’t break down
    • Can do trips to the hardware store/hold lumber/drywall/etc on occasion
    • Can move furniture/appliances on occasion
    • Can move hay/straw on a semi regular basis
    • Bonus points if I can take off road/on mountain trails

If there was an affordable electric truck that could do this I would buy it, but I bought my (used) Tacoma for about $25k 4 years ago and I really can’t justify anything more expensive then that.

So if they can bring electric trucks down in price, I will buy one, and I want it to look like a truck, I would never consider a cyber truck, thats beyond ugly.

• Usernameblankface@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Once a f150 lightning is as used as that Tacoma was when you bought it, then it should make sense. All the examples with issues from factory mistakes would have weeded themselves out of the used truck pool, and there should be enough newer fancier electric trucks to bring down the value of today’s trucks when they’re 5-10 years old.

As long as you’re not towing or road tripping, it should do everything on your list for a reasonable price. It just going to be a while.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

We all have a similar scenario where vehicles are so expensive that we really need them to cover every use case. Married people at least have the option of different vehicles for different use cases

I have to admit, I’m considering whether I can swing two cars to better serve my needs: an EV most of the time, but keep my SUV for groups or carrying or road trips