• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m a Jew and pretty sensitive to antisemitism, even dogwhistles. I admit I don’t go to lemmy.ml very often, but from what I’ve seen from lemmy.ml posters posting on lemmy.world, there’s been no antisemitism at all. In fact, I have not seen any antisemitism from anyone here that I can recall, which is pretty amazing in and of itself.

Opposition to Israel’s genocidal regime is not antisemitism.

• Cruxifux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah. I am really sick of seeing the argument that any condemnation of the government of Israel is anti-Semitic. It has nothing to do with them being Jewish and everything to do with how they have handled that conflict over the years.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Saying things that aren’t explicitly antisemitic but are basically hidden code for antisemitism. Such as “Globalists.”

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

See also major conspiracy theories implying there is a group of secret overlords who control everything behind the scenes.

Any time the supposed responsible party for some conspiracy is an unspecified they/them, that’s usually a sign that they’re trying to be sneaky about serving you a rewrite of blood libel.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Just as a sidenote, whoever wrote the Disney Secret Invasion story needs a hard looking at.

This might sound a bit dorky, but bear with me for a moment.

So in the comics, the Kree Empire vs Skrull Empire is this big, galactic conflict that’s been going on forever, right? Occasionally one side will invade Earth for reasons, everyone has a fun time punching things, that’s it.

Two empires that suck equal amounts hitting each other in space. Good clean nerd fun.

Disney, a company founded by a notorious anti-semite, decided with the MCU that they should make the Skrull refugee victims of a genocide.

Okay, sure, that’s okay, it addresses real world issues, it’s a good message for the kids, imperialism bad, refugees are people too, right?

Hey.

Wait a minute.

Aren’t the Skrull shape shifting lizard people?

A fringe conspiracy theory that after a brief inspection always turns out to be a code for “Jewish people?”

So… Now we have the Disney (((Skrulls))), refugee genocide victims of the Space Nazis.

Okay. Well, that’s not too bad, but obviously they’re going to need to reveal that the Skrull Empire is still a thing in space, right? Because having the Skrull refugees do the Secret Invasion story would be kind of fucked up, but that’s easy to fix, you just make them the survivors of a single planet from…

Nope. The refugees are now taking over Earth by replacing leaders with (((Skrulls))).

Oh, look. Episode Two.

“The (((Skrulls))) were a worse threat than Hydra! You know, the literal Nazis!”

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Ironic since Captain Marvel gave me the impression that the Skrull were being coded as Palestinians, down to the oppressive force labeling them all terrorists.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Yeah, until they went off the rails with Secret Invasion you could easily have just assumed it was a simple refugee analogy that someone didn’t think all the way through.

Of course, even if the writers would be horrified to learn what the conspiracy types actually mean by shape shifting lizard men, that would still leave Secret Invasion with the core plot that refugees are an existential threat worse than secret Nazis, so they can fuck off regardless.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Go actually look at the .ml worldnews community. There is full mask off “death to Israel” shit all over the place.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

“Death to Israel” is also not antisemitic. Jews are not Israelis and Israelis are not Jews. I am not an Israeli. I have no ties or allegiances to Israel, nor do I want them. I think “death to Israel” is an extremist viewpoint, but not an antisemitic one.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Depends on who’s saying it, but not necessarily an anti-semitic phrase, sure.

When shouted by some dude at a campus protest in a nation two thousand miles away, probably not.

However, when Hamas or the Houthis say it, it definitely is.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

1: Kind of like saying there can’t be white on white racism.

2: Only nerds know that Palestinians and Arabs in general are also Semitic.

It does rather point out how stupid all this irredentism is though. These are ultimately all descendants of the same peoples, killing each other over the same God.

• uis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I thougnt at this point everyone understands that state N is not Nians.

• Rengoku@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

You should go to Indonesia and feel the anti Jew from the second you land. 🤭

Mind that the antisemitism always comes from Muslims, non Muslims would do nothing