We recently moved to the peak district from London after working there for our adult lives to this point, now 41. London is fine until you want more, at which point you realise its been sold and housing is so cheap up north if you can work out how to pay for it.

Weve been exploring the Peaks every weekend for a year on and off since we moved. But is there a secret drive you take near yours? The UK is so beautiful, but many of its popular spots are played out.

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My grandfather was from the Staffordshire Moorlands so I know bits of the area well.

I can highly recommend a jaunt out to The Roaches - it’s easy enough to scramble up and you have fine views from the top (including my ggg-grandparents’ grave).

If you pop over Buxton way Mam Tor and the Blur John Cavern are worth a look.

Further afield, I’d recommend a wander around the northern parts of the Lake District - it feels a lot more remote and less touristy.

Or head NE to the Whitby, Staithes, Saltburn area - I’ve spent many a happy day pottering about on the beach looking for fossils or climbing Roseberry Topping.

I also had a driving holiday that went up the M6 along Hadrian’s Wall (well parallel to it) and then pottering around places like Holy Island, Seahouses, Bamburgh and Berwick.