We recently moved to the peak district from London after working there for our adult lives to this point, now 41. London is fine until you want more, at which point you realise its been sold and housing is so cheap up north if you can work out how to pay for it.

Weve been exploring the Peaks every weekend for a year on and off since we moved. But is there a secret drive you take near yours? The UK is so beautiful, but many of its popular spots are played out.

• onepotatotwopotato@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This route is not a million miles away from the Peak District. It goes through North Wales to Harlech and it’s such a lovely drive on a sunny day. I think a lot of it is not too busy (it’s the route I would take if the A55 was busy on a bank holiday). There are average speed cameras on the moors but it’s windy enough that I don’t think you’d want to go much faster.

I start in Mold, I take the A451 to Denbigh, I then head towards Bylchau on the A543 and keep on it until it reaches the A5. Then take the B4407 past Ysbyty Ifan to Ffestiniog (not Blanau Ffestiniog). Then join the A496 to Harlech.

You can mix it up on the way back and go via Ruthin or Corwen instead on Denbigh.