It feels like when Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim came out you couldn’t escape people posting about them for weeks, especially with Skyrim. Now the most I’ve seen are complaints about how disappointing Starfield was.

Is the game that much blander or does Internet culture just move on that much faster these days? On the other hand, I do feel like there was a lot more enthusiasm for other games like Elden Ring, and sometimes you get an Among Us that just completely take over the Internet.

• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’ve played nearly a hundred hours of it for some reason and it’s incredibly mid. Every cool concept ends in a huge disappointment.

When you find out that monster terrorist attacks were happening because the Space Liberals kept Space Hitler alive in the basement, the options are to quietly tell the same Space Liberals what happened and they quietly dispose of Space Hitler or lie to them and keep Space Hitler alive. No option to go to the media or one of the other factions and be like “Yo they have Space Hitler alive in the basement and he’s responsible for this.”

When 200+ year old generation ship shows up at a now-existing resort planet, the options are buy them a hyperdrive, put them into indentured servitude, or kill everyone on board. If you try to kill the resort CEO and be like “they can have your house” you can’t because he’s set as essential and can’t be killed.

Pretty much every cool concept has an ending this disappointing. And that’s if you can get the thing to run at a playable framerate and without crashing. Low settings get me 45fps and look worse than Skyrim on medium, on a PC that can run Skyrim at ultra above 60. My PC is in no way the best, but there is absolutely no reason this game should run as poorly as it does with how mediocre it looks.

The only part I actually like is the core “shooting dudes” gameplay. The guns feel nice. Headshotting the not very smart AI as they pop around a corner feels good. If I could just have an infinite dungeon to shoot dudes in that’d be pretty fun.

• BurgerPunk [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Games really need to get past the be nice to all or a complete fascist scumbag binary when it comes to “moral” choices. Seems like this game took a step in the wrong direction toward be a shitlib or be a fascist

• UmbraVivi [he/him, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

When you find out that monster terrorist attacks were happening because the Space Liberals kept Space Hitler alive in the basement, the options are to quietly tell the same Space Liberals what happened and they quietly dispose of Space Hitler or lie to them and keep Space Hitler alive. No option to go to the media or one of the other factions and be like “Yo they have Space Hitler alive in the basement and he’s responsible for this.”

When 200+ year old generation ship shows up at a now-existing resort planet, the options are buy them a hyperdrive, put them into indentured servitude, or kill everyone on board. If you try to kill the resort CEO and be like “they can have your house” you can’t because he’s set as essential and can’t be killed.

DO NOT QUESTION THE POWER STRUCTURES

THE POWERS THAT BE ARE INFALLIBLE AND ETERNAL, THEY MAY NOT BE UNDERMINED

DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND CONSIDER FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE, CHANGE IS IMPOSSIBLE, THE SYSTEM MUST STAY THE SAME

• JuryNullification [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, the writing is the most frustrating shitlib pabulum. The shooting mechanics are pretty good, and I actually kinda like the space combat. And I’m not usually a awooga GRAPHICS kinda guy, but the graphics suck for what the game is. I felt like I was in Fallout 4.

I finally got around to playing Cyberpunk right before it (speaking of broken shitlib games) and I was disappointed by the graphics and character design and customization of Starfield comparing the two.

• laziestflagellant [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Honestly I wish the game had just ripped the character models from Fallout 4. Like sure they are still ugly but they’re at least interesting to look at whereas the Starfield NPC faces just look like unsettling unfinished clay sculptures

• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

And I’m not usually a GRAPHICS kinda guy, but the graphics suck for what the game is.

Yeah same here, and if it didn’t run like shit I probably wouldn’t complain about the graphics. But if my GPU is screaming the whole time I’m playing I’d hope it looks nice.

• good_girl [she/her, they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Even the smaller side quests are like this. I was especially pissed at the “Help the space police” event where you visit the space FBI to recover a police asset and there’s no option to steal or destroy it. The quest just plays straight and I decided to just never turn it in because anything else is too disappointing.

Then there’s the fucking random arrest into police informant shit which just fucking sucks.