• Boogiepop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d really hate it if they went back to traditional console. 90% of my switch playtime is in handheld.

• 13zero@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Assuming any of this is legit:

Is it possible that the “Switch 2” has a hybrid version like the Switch, a handheld version like the Switch Lite, and a home console version? (Or even just hybrid and home console versions, with a handheld to come later?)

These could all run the same software with very similar hardware, but the home console would either be cheaper or offer higher resolutions and/or framerates than the docked hybrid console.

Customers might get confused, but this is arguably more straightforward than the current lineup.

The downside is that developers would need to handle 3 different configurations (handheld, docked, and home).

• StarServal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The downside is that developers would need to handle 3 different configurations (handheld, docked, and home).

No publisher wants to put the resources into this for absolutely no gain on their part. They’ll target the easiest, cheapest and fastest method to get a game working and then leave it at that.

• Paul@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Even if this is legit, this could just be prototype hardware - in a larger form to make it easy to swap out parts.

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not mine, but I sure as hell enjoy the ease of moving it to my cabin when I go there. Or moving it between rooms. And when I am on the go, yes I enjoy handheld too. Perfect solution IMO. What makes it the best is that it’s the swiss army knife of consoles.

• beefcat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

99% of my play is docked and I don’t like that half the cost of my console went into making it portable rather than faster.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

The portability is the whole reason it has games for it.

Another low powered home console wouldn’t have sold anywhere near enough to justify ports or exclusive games. The entire interest cycle in the console was exclusively a product of being a handheld that could play expansive games.

• Silviecat44@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I hardly use it docked and I hate that half the cost of my console went into making it faster and not more portable /s

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Guys, guys, calm down. Wii can all have fun playing with our Switch how we like to.