• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Why should anybody believe people who have been studying geopolitics all their lives is the question you’re asking?

Unlike you guzzling propaganda out of a firehose, I am watching the actual developments on the ground. The developments are that Ukraine failed to reach even the first line of Russian defence after a month long offensive while suffering horrific losses. Those are the facts of the situation. The fact that you don’t understand this says volumes.

• iopq@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Just because you study something doesn’t mean you magically know the future. Stop following “experts” and form your own opinion

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

People who study things have the best idea of what’s likely to happen in the future by virtue of spending the time to understand the domain they study. Maybe if you spend the time learning about the subjects you opine on then you too will be able to make a coherent argument in the future. Consider doing that instead of trolling on internet forums.

• iopq@vlemmy.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

No, even if you study all your life, it won’t let you predict the future. People study stocks all their lives and they still can’t beat a simple stock index in the long term. So stop listening to articles that make wrong predictions.

Like Mearshimer who in 2014 predicted Putin had no further territorial ambitions in Ukraine. Yet Putin annexed further regions in Ukraine, despite this “expert” studying stuff.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

If you don’t understand how expertise allows people to make better decisions than people without any experience in the subject there’s really nothing else to tell you. Good news is I don’t have to convince you of anything, the reality is going to become clear even to you soon enough.

• iopq@vlemmy.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

I’m questioning his expertise. Every time he says “Russia wouldn’t do that” Russia does it. And he is still considered an expert despite several claims of how Russia:

1. Wouldn’t try to annex more of Ukraine after Crimea (did it)
              2. Could only have limited military aims in Ukraine (went straight for the capital)
              3. The rest of the former Soviet republics would support Russia (big oof, everyone but Belarus refused to support Russia)

At this point, you just have to say he’s gotten everything wrong, but continues to double down

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

I mean you certainly sound like an expert on the subject qualified to question his expertise. I also love how you disingenuously ignore the context of what he said and when he said it as if the state of the world has not changed over time. You’re free to live in whatever fantasies you want, but sooner or later you are going to have to reconcile them with the real world.