SSBN. ETV. Will not respond to questions about sensitive or classified subjects. My views are my own and I do not represent anyone.

Hi there!

Edit: since this has been asked several times:

SSBN stands for “submersible ship, ballistic missile, nuclear powered”. That is, the same overall type of ship as the Red October.

ETV stands for “Electronics Technican, Navigation”, because N was already taken by Nuclear Electronics Technicians. I work with everything from interior communications and announcing circuits to Electronics, shipwide atmospheric monitoring, navigational inertial gyroscopes, strategic nuclear missile navigation, and tank level indicators to basic underwater submarine navigation using the voyage management system and even helming the ship itself.

• jws_shadotak@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

haha cool I love submarines! What’s your favorite part about the nuclear reactor design? Can you share any PDFs explaining it?

not china btw

• wanderingmagus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Lol nice try China! No but seriously, the fact I get to work in a nuclear powered vessel by itself is the cool factor.

• nukeworker10@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Favorite part: hot rock make water hot, spin spinny thing, boat go. No PDF’s. Look at Wikipedia / Google Who was Tankman?

Source-MMC/SS (Ret) 4 fast attacks, 21 years AD.

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If OP plays games like World of Warships or War Thunder, you just have to get them angry enough to release classified material to prove a point.

• jws_shadotak@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I heard they just use saltwater and some dirty unrefined uranium in their reactors. I will believe this until I see papers proving otherwise.

• Mischala@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I heard their reactor shielding is only 2cm thick aluminium paneling.
          Change my mind